Loving Downtown Mobile

I spent the first part of this week serving as a juror in Mobile, Alabama. Upon completion of my work there, I hit the sidewalks of downtown with my camera....It's something I've always wanted to do.  

I LOVE the rhythm and energy of the urban scene...and the way it all changes as the day wears on.  This was mid-morning, around 10:30...The early morning rush of street traffic had settled down and the professional people were all inside doing whatever it is they do at work.  Some restaurant workers were half done with their workday, as they were finished with breakfast and enjoying the lull before the lunch rush started.  Some were just starting their day, opening  and getting ready to serve lunch.  The bars were still closed;  they will come alive at night when the neon lights light up the night.  Trucks were squeezing through the tight streets to make deliveries.  People were out walking dogs and the smell of peanuts roasting wafted down the street.  It was relatively quiet, but that would give way to the buzz of traffic on Dauphin Street within the hour.  I recognize the value in the details of EVERYTHING...the architecture, window displays, and handmade ironwork; the sounds and smells.   I'm intrigued by downtown.  Come along with me as I share in pictures a tiny bit of this urban wonderland that I love. 






Look closely and you can see the late morning moon in the photo above...it's to the right and down a little from the cross.




I love the dichotomy in the photograph above- The serenity of the prayer garden inside the gates at the cathedral, and the vibrancy represented by the art in the window of the space across the street.


Cathedral Square








Street Scenes on Dauphin











This (above) is a photograph  of a window display, depicting in art and objects what downtown has to offer- but it's hard to see where the window dressings stop and the city reflection in the window begins.  It created a nice composition and is one of my favorite pics of the day!




Stepping Inside Some Doors...


...for hot roasted peanuts...


... and candy from Three Georges- I bought pralines.








...I'm calling these "urban decay meets urban restoration at a corner on Dauphin."



Well, that's all I have to show you for this tour.  That was just an hour or so along Dauphin Street.  I think I'll go back soon and play in another downtown street.  Stay tuned.

Judy

Shared with:

If you like what you see here, I would love to have you follow along.  To make sure that you don't miss anything, you can follow by e-mail.  Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and put it in the space  provided, or you can enter it at the top of the sidebar.  I never share your  addresses  with anyone, so  you  can  feel at ease by sharing it with me.  Also, your first mail from me will most likely end up in  your spam folder, so you will need to go look for that one, then click on my e-mail address and save it to your address book.  That will assure that all future e-mails will go  to your e-mail folder so that you can   actually  see them.  I would be honored to have you follow along as I play!

Comments

Popular Posts