Fall Color Driving Tour in Alabama


Fall is definitely in the air...

Here in Baldwin County, we do have changes in foliage color, but with the flat terrain and pine forests, we don't get the pretty views and variations that can be seen north of here where the hardwoods are plentiful and the hills have a slight roll.  For a really pretty driving tour, visit Oak Mountain State Park in Shelby County near where I grew up. Back then, I didn't fully appreciate the beauty there in my own backyard, especially during this time of year.  It's true what they say..."You don't know what you've got till it's gone." I miss that place now.



From home, the park was just a  short drive- or hike through the woods...I remember exploring the park before it was the nice state park that it is today...the steep roads winding up the mountain were just dirt, rocks and gravel, and sometimes the tires on the truck would just spin and you had to get out and walk...They have nice roads up the mountain now, but you still have to get out and hike a bit to get to Peavine Falls.

According to a piece on al.com (published in 2012), the changing foliage colors can be viewed in Alabama starting the end of September and lasting through mid-November.  I'm sure the dates will vary a bit from year to year, but this should be close.

For suggested destinations (in Alabama) with colorful views, follow this link:  Alabama Fall Driving Tour

If you want to venture out beyond Alabama, then go check out this site for the best times to visit anywhere in the country...It includes a map that shows estimated color changes as you scroll over the weeks and months of 2014.  Fall Foliage Map

I think I feel a day trip coming on next month.

For now, I'll get a pumpkin to put by the mum at the front door, and I'll burn the luscious smelling candle that I just bought- "Super Sweet Pumpkin" by Yankee Candle.  It smells like a combination of pumpkin pie and cappuccino with sweet cream.  

Yes, I love this time of year.


Judy

If you like what you see here, I would love to have you follow along.  To make sure that you don't miss anything, you can follow by e-mail.  Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and put it in the space  provided, or you can enter it at the top of the sidebar.  I never share your  addresses  with anyone, so  you  can  feel at ease by sharing it with me.  Also, your first mail from me will most likely end up in  your spam folder, so you will need to go look for that one, then click on my e-mail address and save it to your address book.  That will assure that all future e-mails will go  to your e-mail folder so that you can   actually  see them.  I would be honored to have you follow along as I play!

Comments

Popular Posts