A Lantern Gets a Makeover

Still painting...and working on numerous projects. 

Yesterday, I pulled this old nasty lantern out of the shed.  It had been outside several years ago where it remained until it looked like it needed to go.  Hubby tried to throw it out in the trash, but I rescued it.  I knew I could work on it and make it pretty once again.  I didn't take a "before" picture, but one piece of glass had been broken out and it had black mold on the nasty, melted candle wax in the bottom.  It did look like trash!  

I cleaned it and decided to use some of the same blue paint that I used on the chairs.  I wanted to do something that would look a little imperfect, with lots of texture.  I decided to mix in brown and metallic turquoise in spots. Then, when dry, I would dry brush white in random places.  Here is a picture of the lantern before I added much paint ...it was a rust color- not real rust, but just a rust look.  

I also took the glass panels out, so that I could get inside everywhere with the paint.  I cut a piece (from some old picture frame glass) to replace the broken one, and gave them all a good cleaning.


Here are the products I used. Chalk paint.  (I poured some of the chalk paint into a small container, so that the gallon container wasn't left open during the process.  Chalk paint does tend to dry out fast.)


Accent colors, to include metallic turquoise and brown acrylic paint.


Plaster of Paris.


I also used white paint toward the end of the painting process.  

I just dropped "puddles" of the two accent paints into the bottom of the lantern where it was easy to reach with my brush.


I just went about dipping in one paint, then another, and another, until I had a look I liked.





I added the white after everything was dry, and dipped my brush into the Plaster of Paris, just to add a little more roughness and texture.  Once it was all dry, I put the glass panels back in place and headed downstairs to the kitchen...I had purchased a battery operated candle at Hobby Lobby yesterday to use in the lantern, and it was downstairs.


It is vanilla scented- This one will not leave behind the messy melted wax!!!  And, it's perfect!






I am extremely happy with the lantern's new look, and Hubby couldn't believe it was the same piece!  I'm so glad I saw it in the trash before it went out to the road for garbage pick-up!

I also found Mr. Frog in the shed.  He hasn't been out in a couple of years, so it's time to invite him back into the house once again. He is always happy to hold whatever I need help with- sometimes it's candy, right now, it's an orange.



I also wanted to share this pic of some old fashioned orange slice candies...




...because they match my colors, and they taste good...

Have a great weekend!

Judy

Shared with:

Comments

  1. What a transformation, looks wonderful! Love your frog. Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy for taking the time to visit and leaving the sweet comment, and thank you for providing the forum for us sister bloggers to share our projects! I always love Amaze Me Monday!

      Delete
  2. Patience brings out the beauty in old, neglected things and you did it with these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Beth, that's true about patience...Thank you for coming by to leave a comment, and I hope you will visit again. Have a great week!
      Judy

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts