Painting With Pastels- Fall Shopping at Burris Farm Market

Remember this pic from my post about Burris Farm Market?  If you missed it, click here.


Well, it inspired me to do a piece of artwork.  It was good to be able to spend a few hours in the studio- it's been months!

I started by printing a small copy of this photograph to use for reference... I then chose a grayish pastel paper, thinking it would look nice with the fall colors I would be using.  I clipped the paper onto a piece of foam-core for stability, and taped my picture to the left so that it could be easily seen.



Using charcoal, I lightly sketched my composition.




Then, using black and white hard pastels, I blocked in areas that were very dark and very light.


I use a kneadable eraser for lifting off unwanted marks.


Next step is putting in color!!!  I start with hard pastels...




Then, once I've put as much hard pastel on as I can get the paper to hold, I switch to the buttery smooth, much softer, soft pastels.







And, about five hours later, it's finished!


Details...



Now, I need to cut mats and get a frame for it, then I'll share it again.

Thanks for reading my blog post today- I appreciate it and I welcome your comments.

Note:  For more information on pastel painting, follow this link.

Judy

Shared with:


If you like what you see here, I would love to have you follow along.  To make sure that you don't miss anything, you can follow by e-mail.  Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and put it in the space  provided, or you can enter it at the top of the sidebar.  I never share your  addresses  with anyone, so  you  can  feel at ease by sharing it with me.  Also, your first mail from me will most likely end up in  your spam folder, so you will need to go look for that one, then click on my e-mail address and save it to your address book.  That will assure that all future e-mails will go  to your e-mail folder so that you can   actually  see them.  I would be honored to have you follow along as I play!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Jo! Now, this comment is special, since it's coming from the pastels master that taught me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts