Abandoned Art in Alabama

It all started with a book, The Art Abandonment Project by Michael deMeng and Andrea Matus deMeng...

I checked out the book from our local library, and was blown away by the concept.  I know you've all probably heard of "random acts of kindness"- yes?  Well, it's the same thing, only it's random pieces of artwork that are being abandoned in public places for some unsuspecting, lucky person to find.  It's meant to bring a spark of joy to an unknown random person's day, and to promote art appreciation.  Some of the "finders" will have never stepped into an art gallery.  What a concept!  

From the artist's perspective, it's fun on many different levels. To just be able to make what you're inspired to create without the fear of rejection lends joy to the process- and a certain freedom.  Even wrapping it with plastic for protection is fun- then tucking in the little explanation card- all the while thinking and wondering about the person who will find the art, where you will leave it in a sneaky way and where it will travel on its journey.  And, it makes your heart happy to just share a creation, a part of who you are, freely without expectation of anything in return.  It's good for the soul.

The authors of the book started a group on facebook, linked here.  It's an open group, but you need to ask to join, then you can watch as the magic happens.  Artists post pictures of their art as it is abandoned, then sometimes the finders post about their special gift. Sometimes you never find out what happened to your art.  That's part of it.  You just never know what's going to happen...You truly abandon it along with any expectations of anything. You just hope that it's going to bring joy to someone.  Some artists stick around to watch as someone finds their art, then they post about the reactions they witnessed.  Even if you are not part of the project, it's fun to watch.

I decided to start a local group for Alabama artists.  The facebook link is here.  It's a public group, so anyone can join.  If you follow along, you never know when you will recognize a setting where a piece has been abandoned, and if you can get there fast enough, maybe you can grab it before someone else does!  But, you need to join the group to get in on the fun.

Abandoned art can range from a drawing on a napkin to large pieces or even three dimensional pieces.  I make so many different things that mine will range from handmade candles to paintings to jewelry to mixed-media pieces and who knows what else.  Some artists give away some really nice work.  

This is the explanation note that I will enclose with each piece:



My first "abandonment" will happen tomorrow...I'm still thinking about where it will happen, but when it does, I will post a picture on the facebook page.  Then I will watch the mailbox and facebook page to see if the someone who finds it actually lets us know...

Here is a picture of that first one.  It's a necklace that I made for this time of year,  It features an illustration of blackbirds cut from a discarded book.  I placed it between two pieces of glass and soldered.  It has various beads dangling from the bottom- a perfect fall accessory. I hope it makes someone happy.  


I will post my soon to be abandoned pieces here as well, because, after all, my blog is about "sharing my world" and that includes this new fun bit of my world.  I hope you'll follow along.

Judy

Shared with:


If you like what you see here, I would love to have you follow along.  To make sure that you don't miss anything, you can follow by e-mail.  Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and put it in the space  provided, or you can enter it at the top of the sidebar.  I never share your  addresses  with anyone, so  you  can  feel at ease by sharing it with me.  Also, your first mail from me will most likely end up in  your spam folder, so you will need to go look for that one, then click on my e-mail address and save it to your address book.  That will assure that all future e-mails will go  to your e-mail folder so that you can   actually  see them.  I would be honored to have you follow along as I play!

Comments

  1. Judy,
    What an absolutely wonderful idea!! Love it!!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Cindy. When I read about the idea, I knew I had to do this in our little part of the world. I actually abandoned my first piece today...
      Thanks for the comment, and I appreciate you following along!
      Judy

      Delete
  2. Yes, Tammie, it was fun! Can't wait to do the next one...
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts