Friday Unplugged from the Daily Grind

If you find a stroll through a cemetery bothersome or disturbing, you will want to skip to the bottom of this post...I find beauty in things all around us, and some old gravestones and monuments are beautiful works of art, so the first part of this post includes a tour through a cemetery in Fairhope, Alabama.

On Friday, after Justin and I left RichTex Fabrics, we headed on over to Fairhope.  I wanted to just stroll around, check out some antiques shops, and take some pictures of things in town.  It's such a pretty town with pretty things everywhere you look, just begging to have their pictures made.  As I was driving the several miles from Daphne, Justin fell asleep.  So that he could get a good little nap, I decided to drive around for a bit before stopping...

I remembered that I had always wanted to get a glimpse inside a cemetery that was close by. From the street, it looks like it's been there forever, enclosed inside a rock wall and iron gate... I've always imagined that the graves there would be marked with beautiful, artistic old gravestones....I find them beautiful and interesting.  This would be a perfect time to check it out. So, I drove through the gates...


It was so quiet and peaceful- surprising because it borders the main road through the village.

Here was the first really pretty marker that I noticed.


Details.  Just look at the artistry.


I love the look of moss and lichen growing on the stone.


Then I noticed this beautiful one with a lamb.  It was a child's final resting place.  It's almost 100 years old.



This beautiful cross marks a grave underneath a beautiful magnolia tree.



This is a view across the cemetery looking back towards the entrance.


This marker was carved in wood.


Next to it, another one.  Look at the beautiful rose that someone lovingly carved into this chunk of wood.


After about thirty minutes of driving around in the cemetery, Justin started moving around trying to get awake, so I drove on out to continue our day.

Across the street is the Eastern Shore Arts Center.  I've always loved this pottery tree.  It is one happy piece and it's hard not to smile when you see it!


Details...Isn't it great?  I think I want one in my yard!


I found a spot to park and Justin was asking for coffee, so we walked over to Latte Da Coffee Shop inside the Page & Palette bookstore.  Justin loves his coffee!


From there we wandered around strolling in and out of quaint shops...and posing for pics!


I love old patina and chipping paint- and the pretty ivy is perfect juxtaposed to the outrageous texture around it.




With a couple of gifts in hand, we headed back through Daphne and on to Malbis where we met hubby in Barnes & Noble.  I never leave that place without a bag!


After a nice dinner, we headed home.  It was a great day out- a chance to unplug from the daily grind for a few hours.  I needed it.  

Now, back to my many projects.  I stay up late at night to post to the blog, and schedule it to publish the next day.  So by the time you read this, I will be up to my elbows in paint...painting something.  As always, I will have the camera ready to capture whatever it is that I am painting, and that will be my next post.

Thanks for spending some time with me today.

Judy







Comments

Popular Posts