The Art Party at Blackburn Park

As I peck away at the keyboard this morning, the sun is shining and it's becoming a beautiful day here in South Alabama!  I am so exhausted from our Art Party yesterday... I feel like it's going to be a nap in the swing on the porch kind of day for me...but first, I wanted to share some of the pictures and details from the Art Party at Blackburn Park that I told you about a few days ago in this post.  

We asked for everyone to pray for the rain to stop, so thank you if you said a little prayer for us. The rain did indeed stop and the sky turned blue, but that wind...we forgot to ask for no wind. After a little rearranging things in the park to block the wind, things got going.  We didn't have much two dimensional art represented, as it would have just blown away...Some of the tents almost flew away, but we had no real casualties..Thank God.  The gentle breezes that were blowing around 3:30 helped the little butterflies as they flew off to do whatever butterflies do.  It was a fun day, full of the best entertainment ever! Now, I'll shut up and share!


DJ Jason Bishop got the party started with a great artsy selection of jazz!  He did a fantastic job and I heard compliments all during the day.  People were dancing around...perfect music for an Art Party!

If you live in South Alabama and need a DJ, Jason and Code 3 Entertainment can be reached at 251-747-4720 or on his facebook page here.  He is definitely the man to call!


To see the schedule at a glance, I made a schedule board. 

Incidentally, this board usually stays by my front door at home with a welcome sentiment...I have not yet had time to redo the board, so I just hope nobody knocks on my door today expecting a belly dancer to answer!  Boy, would they be surprised.  




As folks made their way over to the porch of the little house in the park to view the art show (by children), they came upon the butterfly factory...





A place to stop and make a butterfly...choice of mask or refrigerator magnet paper butterfly. This was a popular spot in the park; it was full of color and fun!  Thanks to Sherrie and Nancy Dean, mom and daughter art making machine, for helping people create their very own butterflies!

Next in the entertainment line-up was Delores Gibson, The Barefooted Poet.  Delores writes and tells stories of childhood memories, and of her culture, set to her own brand of poetry. She is mesmerizing and one of the best story tellers our area has to offer...If you can see it in this photo, her shoes were removed (off to the left in the gazebo) prior to the performance. She states that it makes her feel closer to God to be able to feel the ground beneath her feet.   She has a facebook page; follow this link.




Then, we had the butterfly release.  It was beautiful!  And, the children were amazed when the little butterflies flew out of the personalized origami envelopes.  It was just a special experience...and, a little symbolic for our Old Town Bay Minette Arts Council.







The Baklava Belly Dancers took the stage next.  Wow!  That's just all I can say about them. They say that their name tells their story...they are a little spicy, but sweet too!  That's just cute, and accurate.











We presented the Teacher's Award for the third year straight.  This monetary award went to Jo Vickery this year.  We always honor a deserving area art teacher who participates in our art shows with their students' work.  Shown below is our Secretary, Joanna Bailey presenting the award to Jo who works at Perdido School.


...and, Jo, you probably will feel like killing me for this one, but just remember, you created the opportunity!  And, remember I love you!  You must have known that I couldn't resist doing this...To everyone else, just skip right on over this one...My friend Jo has these fits every now and then...and I just captured one of them!


Now, I'm just going to show some pics of vendors and their wares, the beautiful Blackburn Park, and people enjoying the Art Party.
























I hope you've enjoyed the pictures and memories of our Art Party.  It was a day to remember, and one to make the members of Old Town Bay Minette Arts Council proud.  I know I am.

Now, let me go to that porch swing.  Thanks for stopping by.

Judy

Comments

Popular Posts