Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Down in the Delta Hits the Road--The Lucky Rabbit

It's Wednesday, January 13th and I can't believe how fast this year has already started flying by! January is half gone...It probably has something to do with the fact that getting this business up and going is keeping me so busy that I don't have time to look at the calendar! I just notice now and again that a few more days are gone.  I have literally been running around like a crazy person.  There is so much work that goes into building a business, and you can only understand it if you've done it--I will say, though, that I'm enjoying every minute of it.  And that could be because I get to go to really fun places to advertise the market, meet potential vendors and shoppers, and shop for fun finds to resale!  

Last Thursday I ran over to Laurel and Hattiesburg in neighboring Mississippi.  There's this wonderland called The Lucky Rabbit that I had been hearing about and figured it was a place I needed to check out.  I had marked it on my calendar--January 7, The Lucky Rabbit, 9-6.  They are only open one long weekend a month, so you can imagine the line that forms outside.  I planned to leave early to get a spot in the front of the line.

I got up around 4:00 am and headed out while it was still dark. The route over is a very boring and notoriously dangerous two-lane road, and it was hard to hold my eyes open at times.  I really don't enjoy driving by myself...it's always more fun with a companion in the car, but on this trip, it was just me. I actually contemplated pulling into the Dollar General parking lot and taking a little nap because the caffeine just wasn't helping much....but, then I thought about ending up in a place in the back of the line and that just couldn't be, so I kept driving. I'm a diehard early bird shopper at these events. Some of my friends think I'm crazy, and I will admit that it is a bit of an obsession.  A little voice in my head is always whispering, "The early bird gets the worm."  So...I found myself there, on the sidewalk waiting in the wind in freezing temps with two other friendly early birds....at 8:00.

In my place at the front of the line...
...looking through the glass door.  


We watched with anticipation through the glass doors as the ladies buzzed around getting things ready to open.  The first 25 through the doors got a certificate for a free Lucky Rabbit logo t-shirt. It's a cute shirt, so that was nice.  See?  The early bird did get a worm!  And, I got the first look at the treasures as soon as the doors opened.  







I did grab several of those treasures that will be up for grabs at Down in the Delta--A Vintage & Antiques Market, and I met some wonderful new friends.  I will go ahead and put The Lucky Rabbit on the calendar for next month.

One more rabbit picture, just because it's so cute!

For first looks at my adventures, follow me on Instagram where I share events as they happen.  I am also on facebook where I have been giving away some goodies.  There's actually a giveaway going on now with a drawing for two free Early Bird Tickets (a $56 value that includes breakfast!) to the market.  You have to like, share, and comment to get in on that fun!  Drawing will be January 18, so hurry!  Look for the facebook post on January 4th that begins with, "How about a giveaway?" Follow the link above.

Thanks for visiting and I hope you'll come back often.  I enjoy having you here!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun, but I'm not sure about the early driving. I think I'd rather go the night before, grab dinner, get a hotel room . . . but then again, that would cut into any bargains I would find. Oh dear!

    I can't wait to see you again and get all the detail on Down in the Delta!

    Leslie Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would actually be a good idea to make a "mini-vacation" out of the trip over. They have revitalized various different buildings downtown, so it would have probably been a good idea for me to hang around and explore a bit. I just tend to think of day trips whenever I'm buying for the business, unless I'm doing The World's Longest Yard Sale, which another whole story...
      And I'm looking forward to telling you about Down in the Delta! It's keeping me busy!

      Delete
  2. Good for you for getting up early! How far is that from Fairhope? I might try for it next month! Judy, have you ever been to Silverhill? I think your group went to Silverhill Market a few months back but did you check out the antique stores on Main Street. The one on the corner right across from the bank and park is a great one if you haven't been there. Its not as big as this place looks though. Cant wait for Down in the Delta!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky! I'm not sure exactly how far it would be from Fairhope, but I left from Bay Minette and went to Mobile (Hwy 98) to go over, so I'm thinking it would be about the same distance for you to get to Mobile to head over...It was about a 3-hour drive for me, so that's probably close to the same for you. It was well worth it--you should go!
      Yes, I have been to the antiques stores in Silverhill. I love that little town and those shops are great! The one you're talking about on the corner--I love the ceiling inside that one! Oh, they have great merchandise for sale too! (Leave it to me to be the one looking up instead of where I'm walking...)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are having a great time Judy! So glad you got a worm!!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete