Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Christmas Open House and Some Amazing Estate Sale Finds

Well, the holidays have most definitely arrived!  Thursday evening was the Christmas Open House at Antiques at the Loop, and I was set up with the trunk show of jewelry that I've been working on for weeks.  It was a sparkling, twinkling event, and everyone was in the Christmas spirit!  There were hundreds of shoppers, and I met some great fellow vendors. A good time was had by all.  

It ended around 9:00, and we were all tired.  I asked if I could come by on Friday morning around opening time to pack up my merchandise.  (I think most of us had the same idea because I saw several vendors there hauling things out to cars the next morning!)  I knew that I would be attending my favorite estate sale that happens the first Friday of each month, and I would be finished shopping that sale by the time the antiques mall opened.  I was so tired, I actually contemplated sleeping in my car, because it would only be a few hours until the doors opened for the estate sale.  If I slept just so, sitting straight up, I wouldn't mess up the hair, and I wouldn't freeze to death because I have heated seats! That insane thought only lasted a few minutes....my bed at home is so comfy.  I told myself to just drive the 55 miles.   After I got home, I set my clock for 4:30, but the cat decided I needed to get up at 3:30....................oh well.

I met Linda from Coastal Charm at the estate sale (as we had planned the night before at the open house), and we chatted for the hour or two before the doors actually opened.  I passed out business cards and talked about Down in the Delta-Vintage and Antiques Market to fellow shoppers who stood in line waiting.  I met a new friend, Debbie, who makes fabulous jewelry that I have always admired. I think she's wanting to do the market!  I sure hope so, because her jewelry needs to be shared with the world!  The estate sale was great, but my eyes were tired, so I missed a lot!  I did wake up enough to score a few treasures. Then Linda and I went over to Cracker Barrel for a really nice breakfast of French Toast stuffed with sweetened cream cheese and covered with giant blackberries and blueberries. I will certainly have to go back for more of that!  It was a fun morning, and I'm so glad I dragged my sleepy self back to Mobile!

Now, I'll show you some of my treasures...


An old Bible, a pretty piece of black lace, and an old office clipboard...and an old but never used set of Grumbacher soft pastels.  I do soft pastel artwork, so I'll use them!  I paid $5 for the set, and I've found them online for $35 to $40, so that was a great score.


Then, there was a stack of old Christmas ornaments.  I use the teal color a lot at Christmas, so I grabbed them for $1!  They're a different shape...sort of oblong.  At another store, I found the silver plated punch bowl (That's what the tag said it was.) that I'll use  one of these days, but probably not for punch.  Maybe it would be nice just filled with some pretty green moss and Christmas ornaments...


But, the find of the day was this copperplate etching!  I love birds...and hands...and black.  It was perfect.  I had no idea who the artist was, but since I liked it so much, I decided to grab it and research the artist when I had time.  I did just that today...

First, when I "Googled" his name, it popped up on Wikipedia!  I knew I had something special, because for an artist to appear in Wikipedia, I mean, they MUST be somebody, right? Here's the link: Wikipedia-Marvin Hayes, artist.

Then, I clicked on the next one...it was the same etching that I have---for $150.  Granted, it was framed, but I can do that.  I once owned a custom framing shop/art gallery.  Yep, I know how to do that part of it.  Here's the link to that one, if you would like to see it framed. After you click on the link, scroll down to  the third listing...Oh, and I paid $1!  

I found some other fun things, too.  There's another single Christmas ornament in the teal, a big wood spool with string, a white crackled bowl, skeleton key, lace and some sparkly things...

I slept off and on all day today, so now that I'm rested, it's time to get some Christmas decorations up...(Don't tell on me, but I still have pumpkins out!  Those have definitely got to go.)  I think I'll keep the decorations simple this year.  I bought a great Christmas nativity print on canvas to hang...I'll share that after I get it all together.

Hope you're having a great weekend, and I'll see you in a couple of days!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun and busy time Judy! I am excited for your Down in the Delta project! I just tossed my pumpkins yesterday, so don't feel bad~ Merry decorating!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not the only one late tossing the pumpkins! Thanks for dropping by, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Yes...we will be doing breakfast again and soon :) I had an awesome time.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have a good time with you, Linda! That breakfast was the "cherry on the top" of our visit!

      Delete
  3. What a great adventure! I think I would have thought about sleeping inside Antiques at the Loop for the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of that...my brain was too tired. I wonder if she would have let me...

      Delete