Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Fab (Not) Fashion Friday


Whenever I'm searching online styles to share with you for Fab Fashion Friday, I frequently run across something that drives me batty--designs on garments that don't match.  Drives. Me. Crazy.  I guess during Home Economics Sewing Class, it was successfully drilled into my brain to make sure that the designs match at the seams before you cut.  For those of you who don't sew, let me explain a little about how you do that.  You use those little notches and arrows on the paper sewing patterns after you've carefully stretched and folded the fabric to get everything perfectly lined up.  You also measure and use your eyes a bit. It does "waste" a little bit of fabric, depending on the pattern repeat, but just look at these examples and tell me if you agree with me that it's worth it...I guess the manufacturers just don't care, or could it be that they actually don't know the proper way to do it?  Do they not notice the problem on the finished garments?  

I've pulled together some examples to show you what I'm talking about.  See how the design is broken at the front seams on the ones at the left?  We should see a visually pleasing design that flows right across the seam...like the one on the right. Granted, the "no" ones are all $20-$30 price range, and the "yes" one is a few hundred  $$.  It really shouldn't be a matter of dollars and cents though...not that much difference anyway.  The actual price difference here is because of that Missoni name on the "yes" ones.

Please...Don't buy clothing with mismatched designs!

Makes me want to get my sewing machine out again...or I could just continue to live in denim.  That always works.


The Importance of Matching Patterns

2 comments:

  1. I agree!! It's nerve shattering to see!!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone agrees with me! Thank you, Jenna!

      Delete