Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Monday, November 16, 2015

A Bit Of Happiness In The Halls Of Children's Hospital

As many of you know, I've spent the last week or so at Children's Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama, with my little nephew who has cystic fibrosis.  He has to be admitted periodically for what they call a "tune-up" when he starts having trouble, which usually starts when school does.  Colds and viruses cause more problems with kids who have this type of health problem--it's just hard to get completely over it without IV antibiotics and aggressive respiratory therapy.  If all continues to progress as it has, we should be out of here in a couple of days.  

When I can get out of the room for a few minutes, I like to check out the art installations all over the hospital.  The art is simply amazing here.  Today, I just got on the elevator and stepped off on every floor, just to see what was right outside the elevator area.  I'm sharing some of my favorites with you today.

This first one was fabulous and fun!  I don't know what medium it is, but it's some sort of stiffened material that forms three dimensional structures of well put together outfits for kids. I took one shot of the entire installation, then a close-up one of each.





I can't believe there wasn't a plaque on the wall telling about these little outfits.  I don't know who made them, but someone did a great job!

This next appears to be circus performers, but again, no information.  It is an original that appears to be acrylic, and is richly textured.  I love the colors, and circles with straight lines.   


These great little square quilts are framed under glass in the entrance to the neo-natal intensive care unit.  The compositions are very child-like, almost like they were patterned after children's drawings. It was hard to get a good crisp pic of them because of the glass.



To see more great artwork from the hospital halls, click here to check out another post that I did a year or so ago...

I've also been hard at work on a website for my new business venture that I hinted at last week.  I can't finish the website until I get home, because I don't want to put a credit card number into the non-secure network that I'm working on here at the hospital.  I almost can't wait to share it with you. Maybe in a few days...




6 comments:

  1. Love this artwork! The children's hospital in Mobile uses local art and my husband's photography is featured. I love knowing its there distracting children when they don't feel well.

    Hope all is going well with your nephew. You are a sweetie to be with him and I know he loves you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are many people who've found joy in seeing your husband's work...lots of people come through any hospital, so there's a big audience. I've never been in that hospital. I need to go just to tour the place and see the artwork.
      He is doing great and we should be home in a day or two. He does love me and I love him right back! I'm a lucky tia.
      Thanks for the sweet note.

      Delete
  2. When we lived in PA, our neighbors had twin boys with CF. They were in and out of the hospital quite a bit and there were some close calls a few times too. They grew up to be big and strong boys that play sports and love to fish and hunt,. You'd never have guessed it if you saw them when they were your nephews age. Their mom was pretty amazing too and they had a strong extended family support system. I'm sure your being there is doing your nephew a world of good. He is a brave little guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the kind of stories I see around here all the time. So glad my nephew was born in a time when the medical community knows how to treat this disease so that they have a real chance at a future. And, yes, he has been so brave. He's a little trooper. We should be headed home later today...time to get back to our normal lives.

      Delete
  3. I think you are so fabulous to help like this with your nephew Judy, and thanks for sharing the unique artwork. I hope he can return to school soon and stay healthy for a long time...
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna. We came home yesterday and he is doing so much better! It's back to school tomorrow.

      Delete