Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Friday, October 23, 2015

Newest Silver Creation Featuring Labradorite

It's been a busy week and it has flown by!  The first part of the week, I finished this necklace and wanted to share it for the last few days but, as I said, I've been busy--lunch out with friends, dropping off artwork to clients, planning a new event that I can't yet talk about (excitement!!!) and taking a sick cat back and forth to the vet's office...Yep, I'm tired, but I'm finally getting around to sharing this with you!

I recently attended a cut stone trunk show at Innova Arts, the art gallery where I'm learning the silversmithing trade.  Mostly, we use cabochons in silversmithing, which are stones that have been cut with a domed and polished top (as opposed to a faceted top) and a flat back (rather than a pointy back).  But there are variations to be found (see image below) and the stone in the piece I'm sharing today is more of a "mixed cut" because it is flat on the back and faceted on the top.  I bought a few new stones so I've got lots of inspiration to keep me going for a few months now!

Via www.jewelrypoint.com

lab·ra·dor·ite
ˈlabrədôˌrīt/
noun
noun: labradorite
  1. a mineral of the plagioclase feldspar group, found in many igneous rocks.

This piece of labradorite is about one inch tall, so it made a pretty nice focal piece for this necklace. I thought the colors in the stone were so pretty, and I immediately saw a vision in my mind of the stone paired with black fresh water pearls and faceted glass beads for pretty shimmer. The colors are perfect for wearing with fall fashion--grays, lavenders and purples, peachy oranges and ambers. I've also incorporated sterling silver beads and a sterling silver closure.  I fashioned the bail so that the focal pendant is removable from the beaded necklace and can be used on a leather string for a more casual look and added versatility.  I also made the bail with two pieces that come up and wrap around the sides of a pretty, sparkly bead, that's right in the middle.  So, now let me share the pictures.  








The length of the necklace (the beaded part) is 19", and the focal pendant piece is 1 1/4" tall from top of the bail to the bottom, and 3/4" wide .  

If you are interested in purchasing this piece, it will be available at Antiques at the Loop in Mobile, Alabama for $179.  

Thanks for visiting with me today and I hope you have a fabulous weekend!  

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. It's fun that you are learning so much about the stones. I think that would be facet-nating!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it is facet-nating! Cute way to put it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you really are a professional jeweler now Judy! The necklace is gorgeous!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete