Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Cuffs For Men and Hints About A New Venture

I took some of my recycled belt leather cuff bracelets to Innova Arts in Mobile a couple of weeks ago...

Last week when I walked in, Shelley, one of the owners, asked me if I could make some to fit a man's wrist.  Well, yes, I can.  It never occurred to me that men would be interested.  I don't know why I didn't think of it, because the cuffs, especially the wider ones, are actually very masculine looking.  

So, earlier today, I dug around for some buttons and baubles that seemed manly and made some in larger sizes.  Here are a couple that are finished and ready to wear...


Leather Cuff constructed from recycled belt and vintage elements
by Judy Pimperl.

$65

This first one features a vintage brass button from a US Navy uniform.  I layered it onto a vintage brown button that acts as a frame for the brass button.  The Navy button has a neat story...

The design of US Navy Officer’s buttons prior to WWII, in use from 1852 until 1941, was an eagle facing left standing on a horizontal anchor. On May 14, 1941 the Navy ordered that the head of the eagle face its right side. “The shift of the eagle's aspect to right-facing from left-facing is logical from the perspective of heraldic tradition, since the right side (dexter) is the honor side of the shield and the left side (sinester) indicates dishonor or illegitimacy.” 


Photo source:  http://www.usmilitariaforum.com
I love little bits of trivia like that to go along with a piece!

This second one has a vintage coin.  

Leather Cuff constructed from recycled belt and vintage elements
by Judy Pimperl

$60

The Soviet Union Cold War era coin features a hammer and sickle and is a white metal.  It's about the size of the US nickel, and I've layered it onto another vintage button that is sort of drab olive green, or the color of an old military uniform.  This is one of my favorites.

I'm still working on more jewelry items for the trunk show that's fast approaching--first weekend in December.  More information on that as soon as I can share it.  I want to wait on the hostess to share the info first.

I also have a dog portrait to do....busy, busy.  

Oh, and I haven't mentioned yet that I'm starting a new business...I have been busy writing the business plan, making budgets, reserving a venue, having a fabulous artist create my logo, getting legal...all that good stuff. It takes lots of hours.  I'll share that too, when I have promotional materials to show and a website.  Sounds like I have more work to do, huh? Stay tuned!

Hope you're having a fabulous weekend.  I'll see you next week.

12 comments:

  1. Writing a business plan? Reserving a venue? What on earth are you up to Ms Judy???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always up to something, it seems! I'm betting you figure it out before others, I mean, you are the fabulous mother of the fabulous artist who happens to be making my logo!

      Delete
  2. How exciting! Both about the men's cuffs and the new business! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie Anne! I can't wait to tell you all about it...soon.

      Delete
  3. Your men's cuffs are brilliant Judy, so attractive! Congrats on your new venture, we are all dying to know! How cool you are getting help from Lorriane's talented daughter, can't wait for more! I have been wearing my OWL pin all week, LOVE IT!!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna! Things are moving pretty fast on my new business...will share soon. I'm so glad to hear you've been enjoying the little owl!

      Delete
  4. Can't wait until you announce your new business...it's hard keeping my BIG mouth closed :) Good idea on the cuffs.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little bit longer, Linda! You made me smile...because, once I announce it, I'm going to be depending on your BIG mouth to help me advertise! lol

      Delete
  5. Good luck with it all! I can't wait to hear about your new business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! And I can't wait to share it with you all.

      Delete
  6. Thank you! Something for the M.E.N. The cuffs are awesome. Can you customize it, if I give you a coin, pin, medal etc? Also, totally intrigued by your new business venture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I don't make much for the men, do I? Thank you for the nice comment, and yes, I would be happy to make something using your special elements as focal pieces. The only problem is that I need to find more suitable leather belts. I'm always searching for real leather that doesn't have stitching along the edges. I'm all out of leather at the moment, but when I get more, I'll be sure to let you know. And, I can't wait to share the new business with you all....soon.

      Delete