Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

My Search for the Perfect Coffee Table

A couple of years ago, we purchased this set of Flexsteel leather furniture.  It is very comfortable and good leather, so it feels nice against the skin.  Trying to be smart and get something that would endure over time, I decided to get the brown, almost natural, color. This replaced red furniture, so I was going for something a little more neutral and figured I could bring color into the room through pillows, throws and rugs...I still love the furniture, but it is very chunky and just BIG.  It's been really hard to find a coffee table that works because the scale just never feels right...It's a tall room with 24' ceilings, and furniture sometimes feels dwarfed when you stand back and look at it from a distance.  I've tried many different options as a table, but I've just never really been pleased with any of them...

Here's a pic showing a piano bench that I used for a while as a coffee table.  It was a little taller than normal, so it sort of worked, but it still didn't feel heavy enough.


A couple of months ago, I attended an estate sale and brought home this wonderful Lane cedar chest that was supposed to go to Juju Queen's Junk....yes...was supposed to go.  That was before I put it in front of the sofa and decided it needed to stay right there.  It was BIG enough so that it worked with the furniture.  And, because it's big, there's lots of storage room inside it!   I decided to live with it in place for a few days and just see how it felt...





...and I decided I did want to keep it there, but then, I was feeling like I was drowning in BROWN...

So, I pulled out a can of paint.  It's Behr Premium Plus in Natural Almond, Interior flat, matte. I added a few tablespoons of Plaster of Paris to the quart of paint to make my own chalk paint, put on two coats, then distressed very lightly when it was dry to accent the pretty details.  I finished it with two coats of a matte clear poly finish to seal it and give it durability.  





It's still curing, so I don't want to put anything on the top for a couple of days, but I couldn't wait that long to show you!  

I think this one is going to work.

I'll share it again once I have it all dressed up for fall!

Thanks for dropping by.  I love having you visit!

6 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous Judy!! Brilliant!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful transformation! The details really show up nicely. I too have too much brown and I need to do this to my little chest that serves as a coffee table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how it lightened up the overall feel of everything! Paint your chest...you will be glad you did.

      Delete
  3. Yes...it looks beautiful with some color. Is this the one that you found a little surprise in?

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete