Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Juju Queen's Junk News and a Look at a NYFW Trend


The end of this month, I will be closing my big space at Antiques at the Loop and focusing on my jewelry.  I do LOVE all aspects of working and playing in the antiques business, especially the hunt and picking with friends, but the distance to the retail establishment in Mobile is over 50 miles (one way!) and I try to check in with new things, fluff and rearrange two or three times a week, so that's a lot of miles on my car and me!  Also, the vintage treasures have been taking over my home in a not so good way.  There were piles in the car waiting to come inside, piles inside getting spruced up or painted, and then moved to another area to get tagged and inventoried.  Then I would need to put those pieces inside the car to head to the shop, but first I had to unload the load that was still in the car waiting to come inside...do you get the idea?  I tried to do it all inside my house so that I could still cook and clean and do laundry and all those other homemaker duties that make my house a home...and it sort of turned my house into a crazy place.  I do plan to keep making my jewelry from recycled bits and pieces and will still be involved in Antiques at the Loop with that part of the business...I simply love Antiques at the Loop and just want to stay connected to the coolest antique market in the area.  I'm hoping to be able to announce a special event that will take place before Christmas, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out.  Stay tuned.

So now that I've got that bit of news out of the way...

Fab Fashion Friday posts have sort of fallen by the wayside lately. Now that I'm downsizing Juju Queen's Junk, there should be more time to devote to the blog, so I promise to do better from here forward....starting today.

How about a Saturday Fashion Surprise post?  I just checked my e-mails and this alert came to my attention about the hottest trend at the latest shows in New York, so it piqued my interest and I had to check it out...even though it's not Friday.  

It's the off-shoulder dress, and when I began clicking through some of them, I wondered if I had actually clicked on intimate apparel instead of dresses.  Let me show you some of the examples...

Elegant Moments Black Pothole Off-Shoulder Mini Dress

Ummm, no.

Or, this one...

Yoins Off-the-shoulder Short Sleeves Lace Dress-White  S/M/L/XL

Still, no, not for me...but then I explored further and found some really cute ones I would actually wear...

Camilla Beaded Batwing-Sleeve Dress


Camilla Beaded Batwing-Sleeve Dress (see more rayon dresses)


Now, this one (above) is not actually an "off shoulder" piece, but it came up in the search, so I'm going with it because I really like it!  Now, hubby would have a stroke if I actually did go with it.  It's priced at $475, which is my budget for my entire seasonal wardrobe--for the next few years...In all seriousness though, it's a great piece, just a little more than I would be willing to pay unless we come into some surprise fortune in the near future...

And, then I found this piece that I decided to feature...It's affordable--priced at $38.  I think I might actually check into purchasing one of these.  It's great for all ages and body types, and apparently all the rage right now when worn off the shoulder.  Of course, it could also be worn up on the shoulder, as I would wear it.   And, I would walk around holding my arms up just so that everyone could see and appreciate those gorgeous sleeves...

NYFW Trends--Off Shoulder

5 comments:

  1. Well, your reasons for giving up the booth make a lot of sense. But what are you going to do with all that merchandise??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, most of it will go into storage, while I wait for the next adventure! Isn't that the way it always goes for us creative types? Seriously, I will maybe try to do a couple of shows and I will have my booth inventory almost all ready to go. If that doesn't pan out, maybe a BIG yard sale is in my future.

      Delete
  2. I know that was a hard decision Judy, but it sounds like you were overwhelmed, and since I am a big fan of your jewelry I applaud your decision!! I had my enjoy the journey necklace on the other day and all the salespeople at Chico's were going nuts over it! Love the bat wing dress~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me this, Jenna! I hope others like my jewelry as much as you do. Aren't those sleeves fabulous?
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for telling me this, Jenna! I hope others like my jewelry as much as you do. Aren't those sleeves fabulous?
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete