Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Friday, September 18, 2015

Sharing Some Great New Bracelets

I've been working on some new bracelets the last few weeks whenever I get a minute or two to spend in the studio.  You know I'm all about recycling, and so these bracelets are all made of leather belts that I've found in thrift stores.  I get all excited when I spot a real leather belt among all those less desirable ones hanging on the rack, and if it's a large size, well, I might just do a happy dance! I can get an extra bracelet or two when the belt is longer...Anyway, let me show you in pictures some of my latest creations.


This one is embellished with a rusty bottle cap that I found on the ground at a local restaurant. When I bent down to pick it up, hubby just shook his head and smiled...he's learned to not even comment. It was smashed perfectly flat and has that gorgeous rusty patina that I couldn't recreate if I tried. And since I love dichotomies, I paired a mirror and some sparkly rhinestones with the rusty piece. Don't they play well together?



The next couple were made from a great printed leather belt.  I made some that were just plain, because the leather itself is so pretty, I wanted it to be the feature.  The piece that I cut from the end of the belt had holes that presented a dilemma--should I just use it with holes left empty, or add something to the holes?  I decided to add bling.  So, here are the two different styles that I made using the printed leather belt...




I'm working on more leather ones too, and I'll share them once they're finished.

Here are some new denim ones...

This first one is hard for me to let go, but it is in the shop...It's dramatic, with a long piece of vintage handmade lace that hangs down over the fingers.  Very Bohemian.



This one is from a piece of recycled printed denim, to which I've added some vintage handmade lace.



This one has a satin ribbon rose that I stitched on deliberately in a haphazard way with a zigzag stitch.  It also features a bit of bling in the center and some vintage lace.  Another dichotomy- silky rose and bling with a little bit of messiness and casual denim.





Here's a casual look for fall-- very simple with a raveled edge.



This one is the actual cuff from a long-sleeved denim shirt.  I just added vintage handmade lace and used the existing button and buttonhole for the closure.




So, I've just shared a few examples of my recent playtime creations and they are all available in Juju Queen's Junk at Antiques at the Loop in Mobile, Alabama.  It wouldn't cost much to ship one of these...they are so lightweight.  If you're interested and not local to Mobile, just call AATL at 251-476-0309

Thanks for visiting!  If you don't already follow along, you can click on the links on the sidebar to make sure you get every post.  Follow on Bloglovin' or by e-mail.


Shared with:

10 comments:

  1. These are all gorgeous Judy, the denim ones are so unique and crazy cool! If it ever dips below 90, I'm going to wear my new spooky owl pin!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenna! Maybe it will cool off a little before Halloween is over so that you can wear it.

      Delete
  2. Judy,
    These are all so cute...saw them at the shop today.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I was going to come by today, but got busy cleaning and organizing my pantry...guess I'll come over tomorrow. Sorry I missed you.
      Judy

      Delete
  3. Oh, that first one with the rusty bottlecap and the rhinestones is AMAZING! I adore found objects too. My husband also teases that we can't walk through a parking lot without me picking something up. I can't help it, I'm a treasure hunter! Anyway. . .your transformation of these items is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hope! This nice comment coming from a fellow artist of amazing jewelry--that's special. Appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. great bracelets! love they are upcycled. The jean and lace are the prettiest for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the denim and old lace ones are my favorites, too. There's something special about that vintage lace...
      I appreciate you dropping by to check out my bracelets!

      Delete
  5. Saw your post on Stonegable the scoop. I love your denim and lace cuffs. They are
    really cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pamela! I appreciate the kind words and hope you'll come back again.

      Delete