Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Tiny Treasures and Other Special Finds


Today, I'm sharing the newest treasures to arrive at Juju Queen's Junk.  

It's a funny and strange thing, but it seems that most of my finds from last week were tiny.

Here's a little Bible that I picked up at an estate sale last Friday.  It's so special.  I love the inscription inside the front cover, because it tells us exactly who the Bible belonged to. Whenever I find something like this, something so special, I always wonder why it ended up on a table for sale. It saddens me.  Maybe there was no family left... or, did they not know about it and one day they will wonder what happened to it?   Is it possible that they just did not want it?  I took it to the shop yesterday, but now I'm thinking I should try to find Richard Smith.  It's the sweetest little Bible, about four or five inches tall...



It appears that Alton Smith, who was born in 1927, put the name of his son in the Bible in 1958, when he was born.  Alton was 31 years old when Richard was born.  


And there's this tiny cutting board.  It measures about 4" square.  It has little feet and is the perfect "pedestal" for some sweet treasure...or, I suppose it could be actually used as a cutting board, since that's what it is...but what would you cut on such a tiny board?  I'm showing it in a pic with a regular size magnifying glass that I also found.  Both are now in the shop.


This is another favorite find from last weekend--tiny demitasse cups and saucers!  They are marked Buffalo China.  I've packaged them in an old yeast box on a bed of raffia.  It would make a nice gift for someone.  You can see the pretty red "MAGIC YEAST" printed on the end of the little box in the last pic.




This particular item is a.....I don't know what it is.  Do you?  It's a wonderful ironstone piece with crazing and great discoloration.  It has these holes that go all the way through, and it's about 6" long. At first glance, I thought "soap dish"...but that doesn't make sense because the holes go all the way through and there's not a bottom piece, and it's sort of big for soap. Maybe some sort of baking dish rack?  Or goes inside a serving dish to drain something? Help me if you have any ideas at all.  I've put it in the shop with a tag that calls it a "mystery item"...because, well, it's a mystery--at least for the moment!

Oh, and I have tried to research it, but when I search ironstone, holes, it shows me how to drill holes in ironstone.  The search didn't yield even one result that was similar in the images.



All of these things plus a couple of other new items are now in the shop.  

Juju Queen's Junk is located in Mobile, Alabama inside Antiques at the Loop on Florida Street.

I'm going to spend the next couple of days painting furniture, so I'll I'll be back with some more pretty things to share with you when I'm finished.  See you then!




7 comments:

  1. I know what you mean with wondering how certain items end up in thrift stores, auctions, estate sales, or garage sales. I purchased a box of books at auction a few weeks ago. Included in the box was a handmade book. It was a memorial a father had written for his daughter. She had died at the age of 20. The book included letters, poems, memories, and photos. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Isn't it crazy? I think I would cry if I found that book...so sad, indeed.

      Delete
  2. Love your tiny finds, Judy! That ironstone piece with the holes has me perplexed though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy. Aren't they great?
      I'm still hoping someone will know what the mystery thing is...but, since you don't know either, I don't feel so dumb anymore!

      Delete
  3. Judy,
    I have the answer to your question about that piece of ironstone and I also have the other piece that goes with it...give me a call.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you saw this and called me! And it's nice to be able to put the pieces back together again...I feel like we're building Humpty Dumpty...Can't wait to do another post about the outcome.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete