Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Pickin' In P'Cola & Finding A Treasure Made By A Legendary Basket Maker

Hi everyone!  Today I want to share a couple of great businesses in the Pensacola, Florida area that I found, quite by chance.  I love it when I'm lost and I look up to see an antiques store!  Yep, that's what happened.  Sometimes the voice in my car goes crazy and sends me off down the wrong roads, but it could be that she just really knows me and knows that I would like to find these places...who knows.  

First, there's Dixie's Antiques and Collectibles at 10100 Pensacola Blvd.  Here's a link to their website:  Dixie's  They also have a facebook page, if you would like to follow it.  I found a few nice treasures to bring back to Juju Queen's Junk for my customers.  They had a nice array of finds with really good prices...maybe I don't need to give away my secrets...but, I can't help myself...I love to share!  I made a new friend, too!  Melissa helped me and gave me directions and was just so very friendly.  And, when I started out the door, she told me to go visit Sue's Vintage Market.  

Sue's was just a hop, skip and jump away, and I was so glad Melissa told me about it, otherwise, I would have never found it!  It's located on North Palafox Street, a block off of the main drag.  It turned out to be a great stop as well, and I will definitely be going back again. Sue can be found on facebook here.  

Now, let me tell you about my special find in Pensacola...




You're probably thinking, "It's just a basket."  Right?

Well, immediately, I recognized that it was a really good basket, but when I turned it over I saw that it was signed and dated:  Lucy Cook, 1986, I knew I had something.



It turns out that Ms. Lucy was a phenom in the colonial white oak basket-making world.  She started making baskets as a child, and began a basket-making business in 1924, selling them locally around the Appalachian Mountains in Virginia.  She did so well that she and her husband went into the basket-making business full-time.   Colonial Williamsburg asked her to come on board and work with them to educate visitors, teach the craft to other CW workers, and help them develop their knowledge of period basket-making techniques and styles.  She worked with Colonial Williamsburg for around thirty years before retiring. Today, they still produce hand-made baskets using the techniques taught to them by Ms. Lucy.

I began researching to see what the value of the basket might be.  I found one on Ebay that is smaller than mine, and it seems to have some damage.  This is the link to that posting.  They have dropped the price down to $450!

Then, I found another auction with a Lucy Cook basket...Link here.  Does that say $1,800.00?  

Here's another one...Ebay, listed for $250.  

I love the basket, but knowing what I do about Ms. Lucy, I feel like it belongs in a collection somewhere.  

It's in perfect condition and larger than any of the ones I found online.  It measures 14" across and 15" tall.  There's no damage anywhere, which is quite amazing when you figure that it's almost thirty years old...

It will be hanging out in Juju Queen's Junk, waiting for that special basket collector to come along and find it.  It will be priced at $300.  Juju Queen's Junk is located inside Antiques at the Loop, Mobile, Alabama...info link here. 

This is why I LOVE junkin'-- you just never know what you'll find!


Sharing with:

8 comments:

  1. Such talent to make beautiful baskets. You really found a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does take talent...and tough fingers! I tried it--once. It is definitely a piece to be appreciated.

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed reading your blog and I've been taking Junkin spot notes. Haha! My daughter and son-in-law just moved to Murfreesboro so trips to Nashville are in my future. Also hope to make it to Mobile soon. This makes me want to start my blog back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth! Thanks for hanging out with me! You will have SO MUCH FUN when you visit your daughter in Murfreesboro...there's so much to see and do there, but just remember to watch the traffic--it's getting bad there because it seems the whole world has discovered the area. Mobile is great, too. If you come to visit, you should come on the first weekend of the month and experience the Olde Mobile Estate Sale! I just got home from that...it's a good pickin' spot, too. If you start bloggin' again, let me know so I can follow!

      Delete
  3. You are really making the rounds Ms Judy! First Nashville, then Pensacola. Hubby and I went antiquing on Navy Blvd a couple of months ago. It was fun but we didn't find much for resale. Your basket though is a great find. I hope it sells!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ms. Clamco, Juju Queen is tired from so much running around! I'm sure P'Cola is like anywhere else, sometimes you score and sometimes not. I just had a good day that day.
      I hope my basket sells, too! Help me sell it and I'll give you a commission!

      Delete
  4. Wowza, what a find! How smart you are to recognize such a treasure!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jenna, it was a find....but it helped that I lived in Virginia (close to Williamsburg) for thirteen years, so I was familiar with the basket style...

      Delete