Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Beautiful Beloved Bowls

Picking last week yielded lots of treasures, but one sale in particular was full of old bowls!

I bought four.

Now, do I keep them or put them in the shop?  That's always the dilemma when I find wonderful pieces...



I'll show the largest bowl first--the yellow one.  

Here's a link to a website that tells a little about the history of yellow ware bowls.  

This is an old one, with the crazing and "character" to show it was well used, and it has the rolled edge on the top, so that dates it to the 1800s. It's a good sized bowl, measuring 10.5 inches across the top.  Because of the crazing and cracks in the glaze,  I wouldn't use it for mixing or storing food in the refrigerator and such.  It would, however, be really pretty on the counter filled with fruit or onions!






...and next is the brown Marcrest bowl.

These were manufactured in the 50s and 60s.  The brown pattern is called "Daisy and Dot" because it features an embossed daisy, then a dot, then a daisy, and so on around the center band of the bowl.

This one measures 9.75 inches across the top, from one edge to the other.

Way back when, you could own the whole set of four bowls for a whopping $2.50!





Next up is the blue bowl.  It's a pretty one--and old, 1800s old.  Although it isn't marked, it has very characteristic details which identify it as a Hall (A.E.) salt-glazed stoneware mixing bowl in the apricot and honeycomb pattern. 

It measures almost 9.5 inches across the top.

I found the exact bowl listed on Etsy and it sold for $135!  LInk here.






...and the smallest bowl I purchased is a sweet turquoise little bowl.  It didn't look familiar to me, but at first glance it looks like 50s or 60s...Now, I'll go search and see what I can find about it.

It's marked Oxford Stoneware.  My research reveals to me that it's about a $20 bowl.  Not surprising, because it's obviously not as old as the other bowls I found.  It's smaller, too.  It measures about 6" across.





What a week it was picking!  You just never know what's going to show up...and that's the part I love so much!

Some of these will most probably make their way into the shop.  I just have to decide which ones!  

The shop is Juju Queen's Junk and it's located inside Antiques at the Loop in Mobile, Alabama.  


Shared with:



15 comments:

  1. You sure did find some goodies...my favorite is that beautiful blue Hall bowl.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I think that's my favorite, too. Can't decide whether or not to let it go!

      Delete
  2. Great finds and I love the yellow bowl! Maybe you should keep your favorite one and sell the rest and I bet in your picking days you will find some more too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the yellow one too, and also the blue one...that's the problem. I can't seem to decide! You are right though...I'm sure I'll find more bowls to love along the way.

      Delete
  3. Judy! Those bowls are amazing. I like the yellow, however the rest of them are just as fabulous! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world. Feel free to share this post at my Make it Pretty party which will go live tomorrow evening! http://www.thededicatedhouse.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love visiting The Dedicated House! Thanks for dropping by my place today and I'll try to get online tomorrow for the party. I like the yellow bowl, too!

      Delete
  4. I would have to keep the yellow bowl and possibly the turquoise one, at least for a little while :) you can always change your mind later! Hope you have a great week coming up Judy!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seems to like the yellow one or the blue one, but so far, the yellow one is winning! I still can't make up my mind...I need to take some of them to the shop tomorrow, so I have to figure it out tonight!
      You have a great week too, Jenna. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. My mom was a bowl freak. She had tons and she would have loved everything you bought. I like the turquoise bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, your mom was a woman after my own heart...don't know why I've always loved bowls! Isn't that turquoise one happy?

      Delete
  6. I love bowls! I have the yellow one. I have to show restraint when I find beautiful bowls as my cupboard is filled with a number of beauties I didn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How beautiful your cupboard must be! One can never have too many pretty bowls!
      I'm thinking I'm going to keep the yellow one...it just seems like it would be so pretty with tiny pumpkins in it this fall!
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  7. What a haul! You certainly have an eye for detail. I would have just seen a bowl and yet there's so much more to them! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Kim, I'm about bowls and ironstone like you are about jewelry and fashion!
      Thanks for the sweet comment!

      Delete