Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Monday, June 29, 2015

Playing in the Studio...

I had a chance to play around in the studio for a few hours last week...

These are the elements I had out on the table.




Yes, these are Mardi Gras beads.  I picked out just the orange ones to use in this project.


Orange, bronze, brown and gold glitter glue...


Can you tell yet what I'm working on?  Well, if you guessed "Halloween" you are right.  I've been itching to play in the black and orange for a while now...

I found this silver metal covered wooden box in the thrift store.  It had a faded paper picture of something in the top and was covered in plastic.  YUCK!  But I could see possibilities...
Of course, I ripped out the awfulness before I took a picture...I don't know why I can't remember to take the before picture first!  Here's what it looked like after the ugly picture had been removed....but, I guess it's still a before picture.


I thought it needed to be a Halloween Boo Box.  You know, a box where you store your "boos"...or scary things, magic potions, or whatever...and you put it out to decorate for Halloween.

I began playing with the elements that I had out on the table...

First, it needs a background to cover the wood.  My sister, Becky, gave me this fabulous block of card stock and the pages feature black as the common color element, so any page would work, but I did spend quite a few minutes trying to decide which one would be the perfect one...


I settled on this black and beige geometric print and cut it to fit with my handy paper cutter.

I added a piece of solid orange paper on top of the black, just for interest and contrast. Then I put the piece of vintage lace.  I LOVE the little stain at the top of it...I like to think something was spilled on it while mixing a magic potion...



From here, it's all about adding more elements....and moving them around, subtracting some, then adding some back.  You get the idea, right?


That "Y" on the side of the taller game piece with the "B" is bothering me...I decided to add black glitter around the sides to cover those letters.  It'll add sparkle too, and that's always a good thing.


Much better!

I added some vintage black dressmaker's fabric trim...


...and glitter glue around the edges...


and rhinestones...


I envisioned it with magic spells inside, so I figured I should label it "magic" so that nobody gets an unexpected surprise when they open it...You just never know with this magic stuff...I mean, it could contain a good variety of magic, but then again, it is for Halloween, so.....

Then I mixed a two-part resin and poured it onto the top.  The raised edges kept it from running out, and it's self-leveling, so it sort of just goes into all the nooks and crannies. Once it was poured, I went over it a few times with a heat gun to eliminate any bubbles that were left behind.  I then covered it (to keep dust off) and let it cure for a few days.

When it was dry, I added more coordinating paper to the inside lid and bottom.  




And it's finished!  

I'll take it to the shop in a few days...

Thanks for visiting me today!  I hope I've inspired you to start thinking about Halloween.  It'll be here before we know it!












2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Judy! I LOVE your BOO box, and all the layers of creativity that went into it! What total fun!!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna! I appreciate it, and it means so much coming from such a talented lady.

      Delete