Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Furnishing a Tiny College Dorm Room

It's the time of the year when parents are thinking about furnishing the dorm rooms of their kids who will be heading off to college in the fall.  We all know how tiny most dorm rooms are.  Only so much can fit into these tiny cubicles that will be their homes for at least one school year.  It's helpful to "think outside of the box" when trying to come up with furnishings.  Instead of just shopping the big box stores for the "back to school" items, why not  check out your local antique malls for nice, small pieces that could work.  

I've been picking up plant stands (and thinking outside of the box...) seeing them as tiny tables. Once they're painted and prettied up, they make fabulous night stands for a tiny space.  Just enough room for a small clock, cell phone, glasses, etc.  And some of them even have an extra shelf at the bottom.  

This is one of the little pieces that I just put into the shop, after it was given a face-lift, of course!  I painted it with Amy Howard at Home--Robin's Egg Blue, and for extra durability, I gave it a top coat of a satin finish clear coat.  I just love the fact that it has three legs--it's just cute and a little different.

Before

After

I forgot to take a "before" shot of this one.  Oops.  Here is the after shot.  It's already in the shop waiting to go home with a special someone...



This one above was painted with a custom mix....it's what would happen if Amy Howard at Home--Ballet White had a baby with CeCe Caldwell's--Smoky Mountain Gray.  It's a real soft light gray.  I distressed it a little, then added a clear wax top coat for protection.  It is very neutral and would work with any color scheme.

I love the way this one turned out...actually considered keeping it at home, but then reality set in...I'm in business to make money and the rent needs to be paid, etc., etc.....

Both little tables have let me know that they are looking forward to living the next chapter of their lives in a dorm room!  (Being "vintage" ladies, I think they're excited about the possibility of feeling young again with all those energetic, vibrant, young college students!) Of course, they would probably be happy anywhere...

Juju Queen's Junk is located inside Antiques at the Loop in Mobile, Alabama.  


Shared with:


6 comments:

  1. Tiny dorm rooms are so bare unless you spiff them up with your own touches. Next year, my son will move from a single room dorm to a more open, four-boy room with a kitchen, so I'm excited to look for interesting accessories. For a boy, this will be a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those days and the same challenge with my youngest son. We ended up using lots of black pieces and they seemed to "go" with the roommate's things. Boys seem to decorate their dorm rooms with car things, neon clocks, sports, and girlie calendars...(I just made sure the girls on the calendar had something that resembled clothes on but I'm pretty sure it was replaced with something else when I left!) Black went with all of that and it actually looked pretty good. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Great idea Judy! Smart thinking for small spaces, and I love the way they turned out!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Kimberly! I appreciate you taking the time to leave the nice comment.

      Delete