Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Sunday, June 21, 2015

A little Stool Gets a Makeover and a Special Surprise Arrives

Today, I'm sharing a simple makeover project that I just finished...

This little stool was in a pretty sad state and was begging for a face-lift.  And, as I frequently do, I forgot to take a good "before" shot.  Here is a shot of the upholstered top as it was...not very attractive, old, faded and tired.


Back side...


And, there were layers.


I started painting first and while I waited for the first coat of white chalk paint to dry, I pulled the old upholstery off.


Then, I painted the second coat of paint.  It gave me pretty good coverage, so I put up the paint and called that step finished.


I then distressed it a little...


...and added a coat of wax.


Once that part was finished, I moved back to the upholstery part of the project.  I decided to use a really pretty vintage hand towel from Hotel Bristol in Vienna, Austria, for the new covering.  It has text on it in several different languages that reads "good night" and "good morning"...


Here's the top. 


Here's the back of the top.  I decided to use burlap to cover the back because I thought it provided a nice contrast to the towel...



Then, to cover what I call the "mechanics", or in this case, staples, I used gimp.  I didn't totally cover the edges of the burlap, because I liked the "fringe" showing around the edges...


Here's a shot of the top after it was reattached to the stool.  (Oh no...I see a wrinkle in the burlap in this shot...looks like I need to hit it with some steam.)



Even though my funky house is not the right home for this very European shabby looking little stool, I still had to place it at the foot of my favorite chair just to see how it looked.  I think it's cute...much better than the before, anyway.




...and now, it will go into the shop (Juju Queen's Junk at Antiques at the Loop in Mobile, AL) so that it can find its way to a permanent, proper home.

**************************************************************************

Now, the special surprise arrives.

Several weeks ago, Debra, over at Common Ground, shared a sponsored post on CanvasPop, and together, they did a give-away.  I was the lucky winner!!!!  I was so shocked and surprised--I NEVER win anything.  It took me several days to decide what I wanted my piece to look like.  I finally settled on a photograph that I had taken a couple of years ago.  The rep contacted me and told me that I would get a 16 x 20 print, matted and framed with glass.  I was a little worried about the prospect of shipping a piece that large with glass, but it finally arrived on Friday and it was fine! It was very well packaged.


I was also a bit worried about the clarity of my photograph and what it would look like enlarged to something that size, but it is nice and crisp--very clear.  They did a beautiful job. I absolutely LOVE it! 

Thank you, Debra and CanvasPop!


I was not asked by CanvasPop to write a review on the piece, but I thought it would be a nice gesture since I was so pleased.  Go check them out here.

I'll see you again in a couple of days...Have a great week!


Shared with:

14 comments:

  1. I love that you used the hotel towel as the cover for the cushion! It looks fantastic! You won a very nice prize there and your photo looks so vibrant. What fun to receive something for free in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the hotel towel great? I found it at an estate sale a couple of months ago and was just waiting for the right project to come along...
      I was so thrilled with the nice piece from CanvasPop--like a kid on Christmas morning when it arrived!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. A stool with storage is always a great thing to have. It turned out to be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love your stool makeover Judy and especially how you treated the inside of the lid, very attractive contrast between the delicate towel and the burlap. Congrats on winning the CanvasPop, it looks fantastic!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna, I mean "Martha"...this means a lot coming from you! It was a fun little piece to do.

      Delete
  4. enjoyed your tutorial (very informative) and like the way you did the burlap inside. New to your blog so will be looking around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'm so glad you came by! Burlap is so popular in home decor nowadays, so I keep it on hand because you just never know where the opportunity to use it will pop up. I appreciate your kind comment and hope you'll come back again.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Love your stool! You gave me an idea for a stool I didn't know what to do with! How nice for you to win and your picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, AnnMarie! I appreciate the sweet comment and I'm glad you were inspired to do over your little stool! I would love to see it when you finish it.

      Delete
  6. Your stool is so pretty. And congratulations on your win!

    Happy day friend!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete