Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Upcycled & Recycled Denim - Bags

Today I'm sharing some little bags that I just finished.  

I had a couple of hours to play in the studio today, and that's just enough time to do some small denim projects, so I went digging in my denim stash and found an old skirt that was begging to be something else.   Once I figured out that it wanted to be a small bag, I then started the design process in my head.  It had a row of embroidered flowers down the front, and it was a long skirt, so there was a good length of those flowers to work with.  (...and I still have enough left to make several bracelets!)  As a bonus, I was able to use an already existing buttonhole in the flower part to create a closure for the bag when paired with a vintage rhinestone button.  I found a doily that looked nice on top of the denim.  It was a bit larger than I needed, so I finished off the edges so that it wouldn't ravel and used only part of it for an asymmetrical look.     I also added a pocket to the back.  

I really like the look of this one!  As a matter of fact, it's one of my favorites.  I can see it being used as a makeup bag or a bag for inside your purse or big bag to hold incidentals.  






And, here is the second little bag that I made with part of another skirt!  This one is tiny, about six inches square, and it has a long shoulder strap.  I attached a rhinestone studded ring to the bottom of the strap (on one side of the bag) to hold clipped-on keys or charms. And it has a pretty pocket on the front that is functional.
  




Denim recycling...It's what I do these days!  And I'm loving it.


Shared with:




8 comments:

  1. You're doing such a beautiful job making these bags. They remind me of my high school days in the 70s when girls would cut the legs off of a pair of jeans, sew up the bottom, run a cord through the belt loops and they'd have a big hobo style bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine. Isn't it funny how it seems like all things 70s are coming back around now? Back then, it was "hippie" style, and now, we call it "boho"...Everything has a way of coming back around.

      Delete
  2. Wow Judy, this is the cutest bag ever!! Simply adorable!!! So creative!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything recycled from denim. These are so clever and creative. Thank you for sharing them at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sharing and seeing what other folks have to share, so you parties are always great fun! Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Hi Judy, hoping you got my email from yesterday. You're the winner of the CanvasPop Give Away. Once I hear from you I'll get in touch with my rep. Hope you're having a great week! xoxo Debra

    ReplyDelete