Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Trestle Table and Chairs Update

Today I'm showing you the pieces I told you about a few days ago.  I've been working a little here and there and they are finally finished!


I snapped these pics when I had just started taking the finish off the table top...I decided to just use a palm sander rather than stripping it, because I wanted to keep the darker stain in the scratches and natural distress marks.  This should give it a nice look that sort of shows the history of the table once it's finished.  You can see by this next pic what I'm talking about.  The end of the table was obviously the place where a child sat...with a fork!



...and here it is after the sanding was done, a couple of coats of stain applied, and the first coat of polyurethane.  It's looking really pretty...I'm considering keeping it at home.


And after two more coats of poly, it's finished!


It has a pretty, soft, satin look, and the natural distress marks are looking exactly like I had envisioned.  I didn't want to sand it all the way back down to perfection. That would have made it look new.  The idea was just to give it a lift and freshen it up a bit.




Now the chairs.  I didn't get a good "before" shot of them.  They were in good condition and could have been alright with just a simple cleaning, but I wanted to add the "wow" factor...

Remember this pic a week ago when I showed some pics of chairs that I had found on the internet? Well, I was inspired...

Via designskool.net

...and here are my chairs!





I painted all six chairs, but I'm considering taking only four of them to the shop with the table.  I haven't really decided yet.  How do you think it would sell better--with four or six chairs?  I guess it really depends on what the individual buyer is looking for...I just imagine the set with larger armchairs at each end.  That's what I would do anyway.

I'm going to let the paint and poly cure for a few days before I take them to the shop, so I'll make a decision between now and then.  I'm hoping you'll help me decide!

I appreciate you hanging out with me today and would love to hear from you.  Let me know what you're thinking about my posts and what you would like to see.  I'm all over the place doing lots of different things, and it's hard to know what to share sometimes.  Give me some ideas and I'll see what I can do!


Shared with:

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the table and chairs! I've had chairs in my booth before, and the four ended up selling separately. I'd put four out, with a note there are two more available. Or maybe a good deal if they buy all six. I'd be so tempted to keep them for myself!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will put out the four and include a note like you said...thanks for the idea.
      I do love the chairs, actually the table too, but I don't need them. My chairs at home are almost the same blue and they have rush bottoms...I have eight, so it would be hard to "downsize" just yet. I really did consider switching tables, but we decided to keep the one I have.
      I'm imagining the set in a beach cottage somewhere....

      Delete
  2. The table came out beautiful! Growing up, we had early American furniture and a table just like that. What kind of paint did you use for the chairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm loving that table...your parents had good taste back then! I actually used spray paint for the chairs. It's something I've never seen before and it includes the primer in the paint. It is Cover Maxx Ultimate Coverage by Krylon. Color is Sea Glass. It is a satin finish, so it almost looks like the chalk paint everyone has been using. I love the way the chairs look now.

      Delete
  3. Love love the chairs. Did you sand first and did you poly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I cleaned them and lightly sanded, just by hand. The paint that I used (see reply above) includes primer and everything. Seems like a good finish without using poly on top. I wanted to keep the satin finish.

      Delete