Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Estate Sale Finds and a Harley-Davidson Mystery Item

Hi friends!  I hope you're enjoying your weekend.  We are having gorgeous weather here in coastal Alabama and it's making everyone want to get out and do something.  We had that nasty weather for a couple of weeks, so it's a much welcomed change.  

Hubby had to work today, so I decided to work as well.  I painted the chairs that I picked up last week and I'm working on refreshing the trestle table, too.  No paint on the table, just some finish work to make it look nice and fresh.  They should be ready to go into the shop at the first of next week.  I think I'm going to need a bigger space!  

I told you that I would share my treasures that I scored this weekend.  I finally unpacked the car last night and listed everything in my inventory.  Now I need to clean it all up and price it...But I'll go ahead and share pics.  I found some good stuff!

As a side note...I'm sitting here writing my post with the television on.  I'm watching the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.  I didn't even know it came on tv, but was channel surfing and just happened upon it.  I'm really enjoying it!  Jerry Lee Lewis just played and he was amazing!  

Okay, now for the pics...


I found two large rusty washtubs.  I love the color of the rust.  They are rusted to perfection with no real damage, just a perfect patina!  I'm imagining them full of colorful flowers...


...and what's in the washtubs?  A pair of child's ballet slippers that are well worn on the bottoms, an old birdcage looking fragment of something (I've got an idea for this for Halloween!), some old baking pans, and...


...an old biscuit cutter that's really big and has scalloped edges.  Also, some brass Christmas bells that are still attached to the old card and a flower frog...Oh, and that great suitcase in the background.


I'm loving these vintage French lace samples!  I can't wait to use them in an up-cycled denim project...look for them to show up on a skirt somewhere!  The handwriting on the tags is great too...it's all in French, so I don't have a clue what it says.  I guess I could look it up on a translator...it's just so cool.  I actually have an entire label here too.  


Let me see...what else can I share?  Oh, more lace!  This was a really good sale for lace and textiles.  Since I'm looking for lace that I can use in my up-cycled denim pieces, I take the pieces no one else wants -- the pillow cases with stains and such.  I'm going to cut that part away anyway, so I found some great handmade vintage lace, and a lot of French lace!






This is a full, unopened card of French lace, really wide, sparkly threads, and old...and it's black.  I had to have it.


There's a funny story involving this next piece -- the denim "vest"...


I took the piece out of the bag and was really inspecting it last night.  I wondered why this child's vest had armholes that were in the front instead of at the sides...also, why was it longer in the back?  When I snapped it in the front and looked at it that way, it was just strange looking.  All of a sudden, the thought hit me that it could possibly be a dog vest.  I don't have dogs, never have, except for the dogs we had outside when I was little, but they were country dogs and it never entered our minds to put them in clothes, so I've never had any experience at all with dog's clothes...

I was showing hubby and our son, and son decided to see if he could get it on one of our cats so we could see how it fit.  That was the funny part. There's a reason cats don't wear clothes!  He got one cat arm in a hole, then as he was trying to get the other arm in, the first one popped back out...He did that several times until we were all laughing so hard he had to let the cat go.  Our poor Sunshine...he's so good, but I know he was wondering if we had lost our minds!  Son wasn't finished yet...he caught the other cat and tried to put it on him. Same story...different cat.  He never did get it on either cat, but it did make for a funny experience!  

I did an internet search this morning for "Harley-Davidson dog vest denim" and sure enough, there popped up pics of the vest!  So, what I thought was a child's vest turns out to be a dog vest!  I'm sure there's someone out there with a dog who really needs this, and I'm betting his mom and dad ride a Harley.  It's going into the shop with my other denim...



I found a lot of little things...too many to show here.  Mostly vintage office supplies in their original little boxes, and some small advertising pieces.  Speaking of advertising pieces...


Here's my new shopping bag!  It can never hurt to do a little advertising while I'm out shopping, now can it?  Functionally speaking, It did a great job for me too -- held lots of stuff...

I'll try to share pics of the table and chairs once they're finished...

Everyone enjoy your Sunday!  I'll see you in a couple of days.

4 comments:

  1. Yesterday was probably the best day hubby and I ever had sourcing here in Alabama. There were neighborhood sales EVERYWHERE!!! We found lots of stuff and got it cheap too! The weather could not have been any better. That Harley dog vest is sure to sell. I'll bet it will really look cute on a pooch. Looks like you have a lot of lace to keep making your denim items for a while. How have sales been so far at the booth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had good luck yesterday finding treasures! I noticed lots and lots of notices advertising those sales, and I really wanted to go, but I was so tired from running around all day Friday that I just decided to stay home and work on some of the things I had bought the week before. Sales at the booth have started out strong...better than I had expected for my first month. And considering that it was only half full for most of the month, I'm happy. I expect things to pick up as I have more things available. There's a constant stream of people coming through, so that's a good thing. I was thinking yesterday that I might need a bigger booth! We'll see...

      Delete
  2. How funny about the dog vest! I just took my first ride on a Harley this weekend. Very fun, and totally adventurous of me!
    I've also used my big metal tubs as planters this year. I hated drilling drainage holes in the bottom, but I love the way they look with tomatoes spilling over the side.
    You definitely got some interesting things! Can't wait to see your space. I'll be over at The Loop sometime this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to imagine you on the Harley! Oh my goodness. Glad you made it back in one piece! I'm thinking of the bicycle story...
      It would pain me a little too to drill holes in the tubs, but, like you said, the payoff is great. If they don't go home with someone soon, I just might have to bring them back home with me!
      Can't wait for you to visit my space...let me know what you think!

      Delete