Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Sharing a Cool Easy Upcycled Project

Hi everyone!  I had a few minutes to play in the studio today, so I wanted to share with you what I made.  

I've had this iron base (estate sale find) for a year or more just waiting for it to tell me what it wants to be when it grows up.  I live with things for a while and listen to them...do I sound crazy?  I know I'm not the only one who does that!!!  Anyway, it told me today that it wanted to be a dessert stand! How cool is that?  Can't you just imagine pretty little cookies or pastries under the glass dome?  I'll take more pics to share when it gets all displayed up with something appropriate, but for now, I want to share with you how I made it.



I bought a box of glass plates years ago and I've used them over time to make different things.  So, using a simple glass plate, I used E6000 to adhere it to the top of the iron base. The base had a 3" disk at the top, so it was the perfect size to attach to the plate.  I also had a cheese dome that I picked up years ago at a thrift store.  I always get them whenever I spot one, because there are so many ways to use a glass dome.  It was also the perfect size for the plate!  Once it was stuck together, I added a pretty paper doily and then put the dome on it.  That's it...simple, huh?  It makes such a statement and would be gorgeous in the center of a dessert table or sideboard with other sweet goodies at different levels all around it.  It's tall...measures 24 1/2" to top of dome.

Base details...soft distressed blue and rust- all natural,
as found

This one is going in the shop tomorrow, and I'm betting someone is going to fall in love with it and take it home.  It's really hard for me to let it go, but the name of the game with this antique mall shop is to make money, so off to Juju Queen's Junk it'll go.  



Let me know if you find some things to make one of your own.  I know you will not be able to find a base exactly like this one, but just look around and think outside of the box...you will learn to see things in a different way.


3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! You are just too creative :)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the cheese dome. . .I collect them also! This transformation is really great. I'm sure it will do well in your shop!

    ReplyDelete