Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Monday, March 16, 2015

Planning Juju Queen's Junk and Dreaming About Denim

Well, let me start this post by saying that I'm sewing denim in my dreams lately!  I've been spending lots and lots of hours planning, cutting, sewing and embellishing denim pieces to get enough inventory together to hopefully be able to open a shop at a local antiques mall soon.  To say I've been focused would be an understatement!  But it's been fun.  I love to spend time in the studio, and there's something just so satisfying about taking a piece that's no longer wanted, and upcycling it into something cool, fashionable and wearable once again that has some value.  I'm also having fun shopping for the denim pieces to either recycle or upcycle.  

Here's a shot of the banner that I've had made...it sort of sets the tone for the way I want my shop to feel.  It's about a lot of denim, but with a little gypsy-boho-hippie-like vibe, and a splash of fun thrown in.  What do you think?



What exactly will I be offering in the shop?  
  • Vintage denim items that are highly sought after garments from the past.
  • Recycled denim (which means that it's not necessarily old enough to be considered "vintage" but it's still a useful garment in its current state) will be in abundant supply. These items will retain their original labels.  
  • Upcycled denim (which means that I have deconstructed garments and used the pieces to make an entirely new garment, bag, or accessory) will come in as fast as I can create them.  The garments will have "JujuQueen" labels, and will be embellished with fun vintage and artsy finds.
  • Jewelry.  I make fine sterling silver jewelry, so I am hoping to be able to market some silver pieces in addition to funky jewelry made from denim...and I'm thinking of doing some pieces that will incorporate both denim and silver together.  I also make fun jewelry/art to wear from found objects...one of a kind pieces.  There will be lots of jewelry.
  • Vintage home goods...I've been finding a lot of white ironstone pieces lately, and I love to upcycle other things (silver plated pieces, architectural fragments, etc.) to make home decor pieces that are functional and usable.  And you never know what I'm going to find at estate sales and auctions or yard sales. There will be fun surprises all along the way.
  • Mysterious oddities.  These are the things that some folks find a little edgy.  For example, I have doll heads in the studio that are creepy to some people...(Maybe some folks watch too many horror movies???...something I've never done because I don't want to be scared!)   I just see beauty in these remnants of the past.  And some folks would place my magic wand into this category as well.  I love magical, mysterious things in a fairy tale kind of way, so there will be no magic potions or spells going on here, but lots of "magic"...  If you missed it, you can see the magic wand piece here.  I also love the color black.  That bothers some people too, but I promise, I'm not a witch!!!  I just like black. It's a dramatic color.  There will be lots of black things in my shop.


So that's a bit about what you can expect to see if I ever get a shop open.  Stay tuned for updates on that part of the story. 



For now, these things will be added to my Etsy shop, Juju Queen's Junk.  I've changed the name from "JujuQueen" to "JujuQueensJunk" so that it's the same name as my future shop.  

_________________________________________________________________________________

A funny thing happened last Tuesday.  I was going to my Southern Bloggers Jubilee meeting and on my way out the door, I decided to grab a few of the bracelets to sort of do an informal "show and tell" with my friends.  They all started asking prices and before I knew what was happening, I had sold about half of my bracelets!  I really didn't expect that, and had not even taken pictures of the pieces yet, but I was very appreciative and felt like it was a good sign that maybe others will like what I'm making as well.  Linda at Coastal Charm, Debbie at Flower Child Designs, and Leslie Anne at Fairhope Supply Co.,  I love the fact that you liked my bracelets!  Thank you!  I'm honored that you will be wearing my pieces.

Here are some pics of the bracelets that I had left when I returned home.

Link to listing in the shop...click here.

Link to listing in the shop...click here.

Link to the listing in the shop...click here.

Link to the listing in the shop...click here.


I've spent the last couple of days making more bracelets...so, here's another set of bracelet pics.

Link to the listing in the shop...click here.

Link to the listing in the shop...click here.



Link to the listing in the shop...click here.



Link to the listing in the shop...click here.



Link to the listing in the shop...click here.






If you see one you like, but don't see it in Juju Queen's Junk yet on Etsy, let me know and I'll get it listed.  It takes time to get everything accomplished!  

Thanks for spending a few minutes with me.  I love it when my friends drop in!  

If you like what you see here and would be interested in following along, just sign up via email on the side bar to the right, or follow me through Bloglovin, also on the side bar..Either way, you'll get a notification right in your mail box to let you know a new post has been published.


8 comments:

  1. I've been wearing my denim cuff bracelet all week and people love it! Thanks so much for bringing them to the meeting. Can't wait to see your shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie Anne! I'm looking forward to getting this show on the road...stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Judy,
    I am lovin' mine! I have it with me in B'ham. Hop over and share them at my party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! You got my favorite one, and it looks great on you. I should have already shared them at your party...I've been busy. In Mobile all day today. I'll do that now! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I like the name of your shop and also your sign design. The combination of items you'll be selling at your booth sounds great! Will it be up where you are or down in FH?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm aiming for a spot in Mobile, but I can't talk too much about that part now. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  4. Judy, I love the new concept!! Can't wait to see the progress! Oh, by the way, speaking of doll heads.....I have a few statue heads laying around {no pun intended} from statues that have been broken here and there. Mostly chalkware and plaster. If you think you can use them, let me know and I will bring them with me on our next trip South!
    Cindy
    www.edithandevelynvintage.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, Cindy! I don't think I'll be making things with the heads, as it would scare some folks right on out of my booth! I don't know though, it might be fun to "plant" them in the yard so that it looks like only their heads are sticking out of the ground...That made me sound warped, didn't it? I'm just kidding...

      Delete