Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, March 5, 2015

My Handmade Sterling Silver Cross Features a Mystery Stone

I finished another piece!  Woo hoo!!!  It's always a good day when I leave my silversmithing class with a fun new piece in hand to wear and share.  

I had been wanting to make a cross since way back in the beginning, and I finally got around to doing one.  Now I want to make lots of them...with all different kinds of stones. This cross has a mystery stone.  Let me explain.  My silversmithing-master-teacher (aka Shelley) has a supply of stones available for us to purchase when and if we need them. She had a bag of tiny cabochons (polished stones that have a domed top and flat back) that were not marked, so she didn't know what this one was.  We're just calling it a green stone. Possibilities are jasper,  jade, amber, aventurine, green flourite, and lots of other things ... I'm leaning toward it being either jade or aventurine.  Whatever it is, I'm happy with it!

The silver is polished toward the center stone, and hammered toward the outer edges, with the texture becoming more pronounced as you get to the edges.

I'm showing it first here on a green silk ribbon.





This one also has the enhancer back so that it can be hung on a strand of beads, a leather strip, or a ribbon or chain, simply by just hanging it on without having to string it on over a clasp.  Sometimes bails don't want to fit over a larger clasp, so this solves that problem.  




And, here, I'm showing it on a black leather cord.  I wear denim almost every day, so I think I will be going with this kind of look, or something casual, when I wear it.  It would look pretty on a silver wire choker too.





It's a very versatile piece that can look great accessorizing a lace or silk "dressed up" look, or dressed down, like I talked about with denim.  I love pieces that are flexible that way.

If you like the cross, and would like one of your own, I think I'm ready to start making some things to sell, so let me know if you are interested and I'll discuss stone options and prices with you.  

I'm working on something pink next.  I never wear pink, but I found a pretty stone that is pink with black and tan marks.  Since I do wear lots of black, I decided to give it a go.  I'll hopefully be able to share it with you next week- if things go right!  

If you're new to my blog and are interested in more of my silversmithing projects, go to the top of the page and click on the tab, "My Silversmithing Journey", and that will take you to a separate page devoted to just the silver jewelry that I've made.  






2 comments:

  1. Judy,
    I have to say this is one of my favorites! It's just beautiful!
    Cindy
    www.edithandevelynvintage.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete