Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Monday, March 2, 2015

Happy March & Sharing My Newest Silver Creation

Happy March everyone!  It's been a brutal winter for most of the country, and I'm so glad to flip that February page on the calendar...We are supposed to have another winter blast come through our neck of the woods later this week, but hopefully this will the be last of Old Man Winter. He has definitely overstayed his welcome and I'm ready for him to move on!

Now, I want to share with you my latest silver piece- a thin (3/8") cuff bracelet.  I wanted to play with a technique I had not yet tried, so I decided to give it some texture with a hammer. There are many different types of hammers that will leave a variety of different marks, but I went with the ball-peen hammer, for a traditional "hammered" look on this one.  I also added a patina at the end to give it a little aged, or blackened,  appearance and then I polished it back off, leaving just a bit of the black.  I like the way it looks with the blue topaz and it makes the texture show up more.  It has become one of my favorite pieces to grab in a hurry and throw on...so easy and comfortable to wear.  

Okay, I'll stop talking now and show pictures!










I'm working on a couple of other pieces that I'll be able to share (and wear!!) in a few days. I'm really loving this silversmithing thing!  If you're reading this, live in the Mobile, Alabama area, and have always wanted to try your hand at it, let me know and I'll tell you how to contact Shelley.  We have lots of fun in the little silver jewelry-making studio!

Shared with:



6 comments:

  1. So nicely done and what a pretty stone! This may sound silly, but my favorite part is the sterling stamp on the inside. At what point do you add that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! I've had the stone for years, and now I'm finally getting to use them. I don't think it's silly that you like the silver mark...I think it's sort of neat, too. One of these days, I'm going to have one made so that I can "sign" my work in addition to the silver stamp. You asked when I stamp it...That is the first thing you do after the piece of silver is cut out, otherwise you'll forget to do it...and, well, then it's usually too late. It needs to be flat to mark it, and it's done by striking a metal stamp with a hammer on the back of the silver, with the piece of silver on another piece of steel. So, it does sort of mark up the other side too, and that gets polished out.
      Thanks for reading about my bracelet today!

      Delete
  2. Hey there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but
    after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me.

    Anyways, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be book-marking and
    checking back frequently!

    my web-site :: dieting - ,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm glad you found me! Thanks for the book-mark!

      Delete
  3. Judy,
    It's BEAUTIFUL!!! Be sure to wear it to our meeting next week. Thank you for sharing it at my party (I see a feature coming up).

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you, Linda! I'll be sure to wear it to the meeting. I'm glad you like it.

      Delete