Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Wednesdays- Celebrating Color with Red-Violet

Today, we will celebrate red-violet on our trip around the fabulous color wheel.  When I first thought "red-violet" nothing really jumped out in my mind, which is unusual for me, because I love color so much.  It will be interesting to see what I find when I go looking...


Oh, yes...why didn't I think of this?  The "Pantone Color of the Year" would fall into this slot on the color wheel.  Remember this post, How is the Pantone Color of the Year Chosen?   Well, the latest color is Marsala, and it's a red-violet with a little bit of black added to grey it down some.



Buttons...well, of course, because buttons can be found in every color imaginable!

Via Etsy

I actually love this color on hair, and have been known to color my own hair a similar shade. It's not for everyone, but us artsy types can get away with it!  There's certainly nothing natural looking about it.
Via Imgbuddy.com

A crayon...

Via Designsbytana.com

I found many different kinds of make-up that would fall into this place on the color wheel, from lipsticks to blush to fingernail polish.
Via Prettyprimp.blogspot.com

Just when I was about to think there was nothing in nature that would be red-violet, I came across this clematis, and then the daylily.  I actually have a daylily like this one growing in my yard!

Via Pinterest

Via Ladybugdaylilies.com

...and the garnet.  They will vary in shades from brownish to more violet-ish, but this one was a good example of the color I was looking for.
Via Mineralminers.com

A strange thing happened here with red-violet.  It's a color that you don't see very frequently...anywhere.  I will have to say, it's not one of my favorite colors.  Let me see if I can find some items where it is used with the complement, yellow-green.

Via Kemstudios.blogspot.com

Well, this is nice.  I will also admit that I do like it better when paired with yellow-green.  Here is a work in progress where the artist is using the two complementary colors very effectively. The color is still not on my favorites list, though...

I am really looking forward to next week when we get to talk about red!  Who doesn't like red?  Get ready for a high energy post!


4 comments:

  1. I like red, and I like pink, and since I went to FSU I love garnet, but this new Marsala color doesn't do a thing for me. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that one! I don't care for it at all, and it actually looks like a depressing color. Can you imagine walls that color? Yuck. That's all.

      Delete
  2. Okay, I'm not a fan either. Is it red? Is it purple? It's hard to pair up something else with it. I think it's nice for flowers though. I don't think there's such a thing as an ugly flower, is there? As for red, well, I guess I'm the one person who is not a big fan of red, at least for myself anyway. I don't wear much of it even though I've been told it looks good on me. My hubby wears a lot of red shirts (and I'm actually wearing one of his dark red sweatshirts today only because it's freezing!) The house we just bought is brick red and I hate the color. It looks like a barn. I'll have to accept it though because painting it is just not an option right now, but eventually I'd like something on the lighter side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a hard color, but you're right about it being pretty on flowers. I hope you finally got warm in hubby's red shirt today! I would be wanting to paint the brick, too, because I love that look. You will make it happen one day, I'm sure of it! You are doing a great job with the house.

    ReplyDelete