Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Organizing the Studio (Again) & Playing with Denim

What a week!  It's been a crazy busy week for me and I haven't had time to even think about sitting down to write a post until now.  (The Wednesday- Celebrating Color and Friday- Fab Fashion posts are written in advance and set to post at preset times.)  I spent the last couple of days purging and reorganizing my studio so that I can work on creative projects without constantly looking around thinking about what needs to be done.  It feels so good to have it all organized once again...seems like a new beginning.  I guess I've done my spring cleaning a little early!

My studio is very bohemian, so be prepared to see a lot of different stuff in here!  I'm standing in the middle of the room on this first shot, with my desk to the left, the tv is in the left corner, and my sewing machine is set up on the table to the right.  The little round table in the center is where I sit to plan, sketch and drink coffee when my eyes need a break. 



There's a sitting area to the left, just before my desk.  Behind me, on the left,  is a bookcase (not pictured) that starts the built-ins as you walk into the room.  Grandchildren and my nephew have been known to take naps on the sitting spot, but they usually move the long legged man first.  For some reason, they're all scared of him!  It is a very cozy little spot for the kids to hang out with with me while I work.


My glitter hangs out in vintage shakers...


This old sewing machine has been with me for forty years!  And it still works great...Maybe I need to do a Kenmore commercial.


I made a separate room for the messy stuff (glass cutting table, drill-press, Dremel tool, etc.) from recycled French doors.  I love the fact that I can still see out into the big room when I'm in the little room working.  It also lets the light shine in from one room to the other.  The "French door room" is to the right when you walk into the studio.

The antlers are hanging on the French door wall, directly behind me when I'm sitting at my sewing machine.  I've used the antlers as a rack to hold my Juju Stick Magic Wand (that post here) and some clear glass ornaments, among other things.


For some reason, I didn't get any shots of the right side of the room...the art wall.  You can see that wall here, where apparently I was cleaning and organizing in April of last year, too! It's sort of fun to see how things have changed.

Now, I'll just show some detail shots of things around the room.



















That's about it for the pictures of my newly organized studio...It won't look like this very long. Now though, it's very easy to think and get those creative juices flowing once again without the distractions of the pieces being all out of place.  Speaking of creative juices flowing...let me share with you what I'm working on now...

I've gotten on a denim kick here lately.  I practically live in denim--I mean, nothing is more comfortable than a well worn pair of jeans.  So I decided to start playing around with the idea of recycling or up-cycling discarded denim things from the thrift store.  I've been working on some pieces for a couple of weeks now, and just finished my first one today.  I'll share a sneak peak now, and will write a full post in a couple of days.  I'd like to have more than one piece to share...and anyway, this post is already really long.  So, here is the peak...


It's so much fun pulling out my vintage trims, ribbons and buttons to incorporate into the designs!  

I'm going to bed now.  Can't wait for tomorrow so that I can head upstairs to the studio to play...yes, in the nice, clean, organized studio.  

Thanks for hanging out with me today!


4 comments:

  1. Glitter in vintage shakers is the best idea of the CENTURY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I borrowed the idea from a page in Where Women Create. I don't remember who it was, but someone else did this with their glitter and I fell in love with the idea. It's just so pretty to look at while it's waiting to make something sparkle!

      Delete
  2. Hello Judy,
    Okay, since you have finished cleaning your room...come on over and clean mine (just kidding). I am so looking forward to seeing your denim goodies. I was lucky again today and found another wonderful piece of ironstone @$5.00!!!! Maybe Thursdays are my lucky days :)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda! I would be happy to help you clean your room...I might require that you make me a promise, though, to let me keep any "lost" treasures that I find!
      Glad you found another ironstone treasure! I think Thursdays are good days for treasure hunting. I'm planning to go out Saturday and dig around, but I'll be competing with everyone on Saturday...probably won't find much.
      I'll share my denim things with you when I get enough finished.

      Delete