Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Taking The Next Step in Blogging

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you have probably noticed the changes that took place yesterday.  After the first of the year, I decided to investigate the options available to "monetize" my blog, or for those of you who don't understand "blog talk", that simply means to make money with ads, sponsors, etc.  Now, because I love my blog (yes, I made it...gave birth to it, so it's like a child- sort of) I want to maintain a certain look, feel and integrity. Nothing makes me leave a web page or blog faster than having banners or ads popping up right in the center of what I'm trying to read, even if the content is something that's interesting...that really bothers me.  So that will not happen here. The ads for my sponsors will be found along my sidebar in an understated way, so that they are visible enough to be effective, but don't detract from my overall look and content.  And I will maintain control over what is advertised.  They will be stores that I personally shop and products that I use.  If a reader clicks on one of the ads and makes a purchase, I will get a percentage of that.  We shall see how it goes.

How did I make that decision, you ask?  Well, let me start with the beginning- why I started blogging in the first place, and I will eventually get to how the "why" part became "why not." 

I am constantly creating art or working on some other creative endeavor.  I thought a blog would be a way to record my art, diy projects, crazy antics and the different looks in my house as the decor evolves...my family members and friends who are interested could see what I was currently working on.  And one day when I'm gone, maybe future family members will be curious and want to know what I did all of those years ago, so I guess you could say I started blogging for the sake of posterity.

The curious child held the old photograph of the woman known as "Juju" in her hands, studying every detail...the crazy red hair, the spotted glasses.  She thought, "She looks kind of crazy and funky - I wonder about her...what was she like?"  Then she went onto the Internet and searched her great-grandmother's name...                                                                                                                   
"J-U-D-Y  H-A-N-K-S  P-I-M-P-E-R-L-enter"  She discovered a blog...     (Juju will be smiling from Heaven.)                               

In the beginning, I knew nothing about blogging, so I learned enough online to get started, just researching the subject.  I remember hubby asking me what I was going to do when I ran out of things to talk about.  Ha Ha! Not going to happen.  I am really enjoying this journey and I plan to blog for as long as my brain can think and my little fingers can peck away on the computer keys.  It keeps my brain active in more ways than one...I'm learning new "blogging things" every day.

With all of that said, I decided recently that if I'm going to spend the hours (many hours) each week doing this blogging thing, well then I should check into the monetizing opportunities that are available and how they work.  If I can make some cash while doing what I love to do, then what would be wrong with that?  After much more research,  I decided the question was not "why", but "why not" monetize?  I made the decision to go the "affiliate" route (sorry, more "blog talk") through http://www.cj.com and that would allow me the flexibility to maintain control over the things that are advertised.  Like I said before, the integrity of my blog is of utmost importance to me, so it will remain a genuine reflection of Judy Hanks Pimperl and Sharing My World...I now have enough traffic for it to be worth it. My numbers are growing, and I appreciate every reader and visitor.  This has grown more than I ever expected it to grow and for that, I'm grateful. This is the natural next step. My sponsors are places and things that I personally use and would be happy and comfortable to recommend to anyone.  If you see anything on the sidebar that catches your attention, click on it and see how it works.  

To make room on the sidebar for the ads, I've created some additional pages- Blogs That I Love, Features (link parties where I've been featured) and Southern Bloggers Jubilee.  This helps keep the look uncluttered.  You can click on each page at the top of my home page.  

I would love to hear from you on the subject.  Thanks for being here.

Judy

2 comments:

  1. Judy, I like the way you decided to do your ads. They look very classy. I should have gone that route, but I went with Adsense. I'm not entirely happy with it and I make only pennies a day most days. Some of the ads look dreadful, but I have to keep in mind that the reader is probably seeing something different that is directly related to their interests because the ads shown are based on that viewers recent browsing/cookies. It takes me about 3 months to accrue the $100 minimum payout. I had hoped to make that per month. I blogged for 4 years before deciding to monetize. You were smart to get on board sooner. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine. I'm glad you like the way it looks...as far as what it will pay out, well, that remains to be seen. It's a double-edged sword, because my readers may not be interested in what I'm advertising, whereas your readers are seeing what they've expressed interest in...so, it's all a learning process for us bloggers. I appreciate your insight into your experience with Adsense. I could change my mind and go there one day. And, by the way, yours (looking at it from a reader's perspective) is not obnoxious. It's those ones that pop up with a big box on top of what you're trying to read that are so bothersome to the reader. Your blog still looks nice. Thank you for the comment...this is exactly what I want, so that we can all learn.

      Delete