Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Mystery Wood Fragment

Hi everyone!  I'm hoping someone can help me identify what this beautiful fragment originally was. I've had it for years.  When I found it in an antiques store, it was marked "unknown" and I purchased it to use simply as a fragment to display in a vignette. Recently, as I was going through my things searching for Gypsy looking pieces for the Gypsy bedroom, I pulled this out thinking it could work for something.  When my original bed idea didn't work (that post here), I remembered this piece and thought it could make an interesting canopy over the bed.  Well, the canopy idea didn't work either, because the bed has to be centered between the two existing lights on the wall, and I don't have a stud or joist in the center, either on the wall or the ceiling.  We don't want it to come crashing down on us, and I don't want to use a toggle bolt to put a big hole in the drywall to have to patch later.  I could probably get away with hanging it off center, but I don't think I would be happy with that....It will probably end up in another vignette on top of the wardrobe, but I would like to know what it is.  Just one of those things...I need to know. 




This is the back side.  It has four eye hooks as if it hung from something.  This is how I was going to hang it if the canopy idea had panned out.


...and, in the center of the back side, it has a "threaded" hole, like a post was screwed into the piece here.


Any ideas?


6 comments:

  1. I haven't the slightest idea what it could be, but it's absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! Isn't it amazing? I'm still hoping someone can educate me as to what it is....
    Thanks for coming by my blog!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would hang it on the wall. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will! As simple as that sounds, I hadn't thought of using it that way! Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Oh, that is interesting. It's like the base of a table, but definitely not that. I wonder if it's a handmade item that had one very specific purpose. I do hope this mystery comes to light as now I want to know what it is too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still don't know, Hope. It's very pretty, whatever it is. You could be right about it being made for something specific...I keep thinking maybe it could have been a fancy canopy thing that hung over a baby cradle.?? Just don't know for sure...

      Delete