Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, January 29, 2015

My Silversmithing Adventure Continues

Today I'm sharing an update on my silversmithing adventure.  I've completed two more very simple pieces and I'm at the point now where I'm thinking I'm ready to try something a little bit (a tiny bit!) more complex.  I'm learning more with every class, and I'm getting to the point where I'm enjoying it more with every project.  The only real problem at this point is that I am having trouble seeing the tiny little details (like prongs) that I really need to be able to see!  I think there's something available for metalsmiths and jewelers to wear to flip down for magnification...I will look into that later today, because my eyes are getting old like the rest of my body and they need help.  So, that's the update...Now I'll share my two newest pieces.


The Silver and Amethyst Pendant/Enhancer

So, this piece is very simple and highly polished with a faceted, emerald cut amethyst that I picked up years ago.  I just sawed out a piece of metal, filed and cleaned up the edges and soldered a pre-made setting onto the pendant.  Then I set the stone into the setting, closed the prongs and polished everything to shine and sparkle!  I'm showing it on a simple silver chain that I already had, but I'm thinking I will either buy or make a neck wire. I think I would like this pendant up higher on my neck.  I'm loving the idea of making pendants with the enhancer hook because of the versatility it gives.  I will use this enhancer style many more times, I'm sure.

It was hard to get indoor pics of this piece...I needed good light to get that amethyst color to really show up, so I set this up at the big dining room window.  I did manage to get a couple of good shots, but...




...we are having such a gorgeous sunny day, that I think I need to take the new amethyst and silver pendant outside for a photo shoot.  I will stage it on some cool books that I recently purchased at our library sale.  (More about those in another post...)  I do realize that these colors came across maybe a bit bright and harsh, but that's okay, because I'm all about that color. I'll suggest you protect your eyes by putting on sunglasses to view the next pics!








The Silver Stamped Bracelet with Obsidian Beads

It was near the end of class and I still had some studio time left, so I wanted to make something fast out of scrap silver.  I cut a small bar shaped piece, filed and cleaned up the edges, and stamped the word "DREAM" in a sort of wonky fashion (I didn't want it all perfectly lined up, because I'm weird like that...) and filled in each letter with a black Sharpie fine point marker.  I drilled a hole in each end, then shaped it to give it a slight curve to fit the wrist.  A quick polish and it was finished. When I got home, I strung the obsidian beads to complete the simple bracelet.  The pics were taken before it was actually finished, but it's easy to get the idea. 





I've got some more fun silver pieces planned, so stay tuned.  I'll share them when they're finished.

Thanks for visiting!



8 comments:

  1. You definitely have a new talent emerging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie Anne! Now...to just find time for all the things that I want to do...
      Really enjoyed your post on manners, by the way. Thank you for doing your part. Every American needs to read it.

      Delete
  2. I have the same problem as you. I can't see small things up close, even with my glasses. I need a magnifier. Hubby has one that's also a lamp. Wish I could mount it to my shoulder and take it with me everywhere I go. lol. Love the pendant and also the crooked letters that spell dream. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those magnifier lamp things, too! That's what I use at home in the studio. My husband gave it to me out of his shop. He never used it, and I can't do anything without it now! Thank you for your sweet comment, Lorraine. I'm glad to see someone else out there appreciates my crooked letters!

      Delete
  3. the amethyst and the obsidian are very pretty and you have a great knack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment! Glad you came by for a visit!

      Delete
  4. These pieces of jewelry are STUNNING!!!!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary Alice! That means the world coming from a woman with such exquisite taste! It's appreciated...

      Delete