Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy 2015 & Carter's Corner

Happy New Year everyone! 

As I write this, my first post of 2015, I'm sitting in my bed with my computer, and hubby has his book....and the rest of the world is out partying, saying goodbye to 2014 and welcoming the new year.  (I can hear fireworks popping somewhere off in the distance, probably in Bay Minette.) We talked about it, discussed whether or not we wanted to go to Mobile to watch the moonpie drop and hear the Village People (yes, those Village People from waaay back then!), or do anything else special, but decided that this was right where we wanted to be.  I don't want to get mugged or fall asleep driving...We must be getting old!  

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was going to tell you about a new place that had opened in our local area... Remember this teaser pic?



Well, then I took some time off for the holidays and never got around to writing about it, so I'm sharing Carter's Corner with you today.  

Carter's Corner, owned and operated by Darcy Martin, opened just a few weeks ago right in the center of Atmore, Alabama, just up the road a few miles from my home.  I was fortunate enough to have received a gift certificate from CC as a Christmas gift from our son and daughter-in-law, and they gave it to me before Christmas so that I could go shopping before things were "picked over" during the Christmas shopping frenzy.  Of course, I was ecstatic to hear of a new antiques shop, because there can never be too many, right? They know me well, and it was one of my favorite gifts.  It not only represented the gift from them that I purchased with it, but the entire experience of meeting my new friend, Darcy, as well.  



First of all, the building itself is fabulous!  It's been well maintained and retains most of the original details and character- those things that make an old building special.  Since this one was originally a formal dress shop, it has some very unusual "cases" along the wall on the right side of the store that once held gorgeous, fancy formal gowns.  I guess the glass doors served as a "dust cover" of sorts.  Now, with each pair of glass doors left open, they form perfect little "vignette" theatres for the antiques.


Hat holders are original to the store.
 This is not Darcy's first antiques business, and you can tell.  Everything has been carefully cleaned, tagged and deliberately placed.  It is well organized and easy to browse.  She tells me she has lots more to bring in, but is doing so in a very systematic way.  She just had to tease me to keep me coming back, right?  I should tell you that I've already been in twice...and, I'm already due for another trip back soon.







...and, as you can see, she has quite a large selection of old hand tools, which hubby found interesting.


He bought a few!






There was a glass case full of smalls...


...and some furniture topped with clocks and other interesting finds.  She has some great tables.


Some primitive kitchen things were on display in the back room in a small pie safe.


See the big glass butter churn up top there?  It was really cool...I want it, but if I get it, then I would need to get a cow and .... well, you know...I'm not so sure I need a cow.  


This sweet little guy was hanging out, mostly in his bed, but he did get up occasionally to greet shoppers who came along.


Here are some of the more interesting things that I found...

Giant Bottle of Champagne,
seriously, over 2-ft. tall...

Giant Wooden Something...
I have no clue.


Lobster in a Pot

Old String Holder

Lamb Mold

Iron Pig Bank

Copper Bed Warmer

The chair...this piece was getting a lot of attention.  Nobody is sure what it was used for, but it was well built and well used...that much we know.  And, it has drawers in the base on both sides, with little cubbies in each drawer.  The seat is a round piece of leather and it sits sort of low...Does anyone know what it might have been used for?  I have never seen anything like it before.  It would definitely make a good conversation piece, one that's actually functional- just think of the storage in those little cubbies, and it can actually be used as a chair as well!



And, I'm saving the best (to me) for last...what I brought home with me.


A great half-size printer's tray with wonderful hardware...
I love to use these in the studio for organizing
jewelry parts, buttons, and other fun things.


A beautiful 2-gallon Bluebird crock...
This piece will move all over the house- holding
magazines, plants, kitchen utensils, and who knows what else.


...and, a great little tool to make the edges of my pie crusts
pretty!  I don't know how much pie-baking is actually
going to go on, but it's a cool little tool anyway.


I've shown you just a few samples of the goodies that are waiting to be picked at Carter's Corner, so you'll just have to make the trip to Atmore to see more.  For antique lovers, Darcy has something for everyone, and a huge variety of primitives and tools. Her prices are very affordable. Some shop owners will want to buy to resell...Yes, her prices are that good. She tells me that she knows her prices are lower than normal for like items, but it's part of the plan...to keep shoppers coming back again and again and again.  I think it's a good plan.

Carter's Corner is located at 137 N. Main Street in Atmore, and she is open Wednesday - Friday from 11:00 to 4:00.  Open Saturday by chance or appointment.  You can reach her by phone at 251-368-4664.  (Saturday is a picking day for Darcy, when she hits the yard sales and auctions!)  When you visit, tell her Judy sent you.

I'll see you in a couple of days to share some artwork that I've just finished.  Thanks for hanging out with me today!

Judy

If you like what you see here, I would love to have you follow along.  To make sure that you don't miss anything, you can follow by e-mail.  Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and put it in the space  provided, or you can enter it at the top of the sidebar.  I never share your  addresses  with anyone, so  you  can  feel at ease by sharing it with me.  Also, your first mail from me will most likely end up in  your spam folder, so you will need to go look for that one, then click on my e-mail address and save it to your address book.  That will assure that all future e-mails will go  to your e-mail folder so that you can   actually  see them.  I would be honored to have you follow along as I play!

2 comments:

  1. I love a glass case full of smalls! Looks like a really nice shop. That chair looks like it may have been made for a short person like me and the drawer underneath perhaps is for sewing notions? Lots of really cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine, I'm thinking it was sewing stuff, too. It would probably be the perfect fit for you...don't you need a sewing chair? Lol

    ReplyDelete