Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Monday, December 8, 2014

Are Christmas Cards Becoming a Thing of the Past?

I'm just imagining a time, not too far in the future, where I'm at an estate sale and Christmas cards are being sold as "vintage" things of the past...I know- it's a sad thought, but who sends Christmas cards anymore?  

I guess I'm part of the story, because I haven't sent out cards in years, not because of any deliberate reason, but because I just get busy and then I feel like it's too late to send them. It seems most folks send their sentiments out via social networking these days...Which kind of card sender are you?  

There are good points and bad to both ways of sending our greetings.  It's nice to get cards to keep as mementos or to recycle as other things in craft projects the next year...and I think it actually acts as a reminder of the sender all during the season if the card is out where it can be seen, whereas if we see it on social media, we appreciate it right there in that moment, but then it's most probably forgotten.    If we don't send actual paper cards, we are saving trees. Right? But how does that affect the timber producers who grow trees so that there is paper available? What about their livelihood?  It probably doesn't hurt the big producers, as they've probably sold off that timberland or leased it to hunt clubs because they've seen this scenario developing over time, but I do worry a little about the small family timber producers...it does affect the price that they get at the mill, therefore it hurts their pocketbooks. If we just send virtual cards via social networking, we don't have to pay postage...that's a help to our pocketbooks, but it's also helping put the USPS out of business....Hmmm....It's all so confusing.   

So, with all that said, I decided I would send cards this year. I figured I would go ahead and do it one more time, before they no longer appear on store shelves and the post office stops delivering paper mail altogether.

When I tried to sign and address these cards, it actually hurt my hand!  Now, nothing is wrong with my hands...give me a keyboard and my fingers can fly, but when it comes to handwriting, I can hardly do it anymore.  I think my hands have forgotten how to write!   So if you are on my "real" mailing list and get a card, please excuse the un-pretty handwriting! 

For those of you who visit with me here, the sentiment is just as real and heartfelt!   So here it is- my 2014 Christmas card to you!

 

  



It's hard to translate glitter in a virtual card...just can't get the same sparkle, and it's just not much fun unless it's getting all over the place!

Merry Christmas everyone!  I appreciate each and every one of you...Thank you for spending a few minutes with me.

Judy

If you like what you see here, I would love to have you follow along.  To make sure that you don't miss anything, you can follow by e-mail.  Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and put it in the space  provided, or you can enter it at the top of the sidebar.  I never share your  addresses  with anyone, so  you  can  feel at ease by sharing it with me.  Also, your first mail from me will most likely end up in  your spam folder, so you will need to go look for that one, then click on my e-mail address and save it to your address book.  That will assure that all future e-mails will go  to your e-mail folder so that you can   actually  see them.  I would be honored to have you follow along as I play!

7 comments:

  1. And Merry Christmas to you too!
    I have sent cards almost every year, although sometimes late enough to be a "New Year's" card. I include a handwritten note with each one, because I don't like the pre-printed sentiment and label on the envelope. Why even bother?
    And having said that . . . this year? I'll be lucky to get it out by Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know what they say...better late than never! If you think about it, it's nice to receive a hand-written sentiment at any time of year...
      Thanks for taking time to leave a comment, and hopefully, I'll see you tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas to you as well Judy!
    I send out cards every year and for the past 6 years, my daughter has designed our holiday card and we have them professionally printed. Now it's become an expected tradition of sorts and everyone wants to know when they will be receiving Megan's new card. It's not cheap to have them printed and of course postage is expensive too, so I like to think of each card as a little gift from us each year. I actually have tendonitis in my hands and cannot write very much without pain, so I include one of those tacky printed family newsletters for those people that don't read my blog or keep in touch with us regularly. I send out about 40 cards per year and usually get close to the same amount in return. I also post a digital image of her card on my blog for my readers so you'll see it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Your daughter creating special cards...Now, that is a special gift. I'm looking forward to seeing it on the blog!

      Delete
  3. Judy,
    I have been sending Christmas cards out for over 30 years now and I love it...90% of the time it's a photo card. This year we all went down by the bay and had our pictures made...they were just okay...then we had problems in ordering them, so for the first time in years, we are not sending any out. I am sad about it, but I really don't think people care about getting them anymore. I guess I will be that on-line person this year. See ya tomorrow.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Linda, I guess you are a bit sad if you've been sending cards out that long. I'm sure those recipients of your cards will be sad, too. They probably care more than you realize. But, it's also okay to do the online thing!

      Delete
  4. I have sent Christmas cards out for 20 years now. I usually send photo cards sometimes of the 4 of us, but usually just the two kids. I try to get a picture of our vacation each summer that will work for the card. I love this as a way for friends to see how the kids have grown, as well as relatives we don't see often. I like the personal touch of receiving a card in the mail instead of an email or text message.

    ReplyDelete