Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

My Newest Silver Creation and a Reliving a Very Special "Mom" Moment

I'm just going to jump right in with this post...can't contain my excitement!

I am so IN LOVE with my latest silver jewelry creation- a sterling silver cuff bracelet with a really big (10mm x 12mm) golden faceted gemstone.  I have to show pics first- just because I can't wait- then I'll tell you a story about the gemstone.



    



I really enjoyed photographing this bracelet.  That highly polished mirror finish was so much fun, working with reflections!

My inspiration for this piece was the stone itself.  You see, it's a citrine, or a type of quartz stone.  Not a really expensive stone in the world of gemstones, but it has great value to me. When my youngest son was eight years old, we were in Miami with hubby's work, and one day when we were out and about, Reagan looked down and yelled, "Look, Mom!"...He had found a treasure!  It was just sitting there on the ground in a little plastic gemstone case, waiting for someone to find.  In reality, I'm sure someone dropped it and was disappointed to learn they had lost it, but it would have been nearly impossible to try to find the rightful owner in a city the size of Miami.  And, since I knew a little about gemstones, I knew that it was worth right around ten dollars, so it wasn't a great loss for the loser, but it was worth a million dollars to my son.  He kept up with it for years, until he was a teenager and needed a few bucks.  He asked me if I wanted to buy it from him, so I did.  I'm sure I gave him WAY more than it was worth, but I was buying the memory-and I've kept it tucked away with some other special "mom" treasures for a lot of years.  Reagan is now a young man in his twenties, and when I showed him this surprise last night, I could tell it was special to him, too.  I have taken this memory and turned it into something that is stylishly "me" so that I can now proudly wear it for many more years to come...and, I'm sure the story will be re-told many times as I wear it.

I'm really enjoying the silversmithing experience (at Innova Arts in Mobile) more and more with every new project, and now I'm experimenting with some recycled metal from candy and biscuit tins, using some of the techniques I've learned in the class.  I'm making some Christmas gifts for some very special people in my life...I'll share those later.

I'm going to take a few days off from blogging to get ready for the big Thanksgiving Day celebration that we are hosting.  I'll catch up with you all after the holiday, so from my house to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!  I hope you get to spend it with people you love.  And, remember to look around and see if there's anyone who is alone...it would mean so much to include them- I'm sure they would be grateful, and it'll do your heart good!

And, before you hit the stores for Black Friday shopping, I would appreciate it if you would check out my shop, JujuQueen.  This old girl would appreciate it, very much.

Judy

If you like what you see here, I would love to have you follow along.  To make sure that you don't miss anything, you can follow by e-mail.  Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and put it in the space  provided, or you can enter it at the top of the sidebar.  I never share your  addresses  with anyone, so  you  can  feel at ease by sharing it with me.  Also, your first mail from me will most likely end up in  your spam folder, so you will need to go look for that one, then click on my e-mail address and save it to your address book.  That will assure that all future e-mails will go  to your e-mail folder so that you can   actually  see them.  I would be honored to have you follow along as I play!

5 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful piece Judy! I love the story behind the stone too. Have a very happy Thanksgiving holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment, Lorraine! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too, and I hope you can take a few minutes off the house project long enough to eat a bite of turkey!

      Delete
  2. How fabulous that you were able to turn that memory into something almost as beautiful!
    I've never heard of silversmithing classes so close before. Thanks for spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that sweet comment!
      I was surprised to find out about the classes, too. I have a friend who is a friend of the silversmith teacher, and she mentioned it to me. Learning to silversmith was on my bucket list, so "check"...I'm having a lot of fun. She does try to keep the classes small so that each person gets plenty of attention, but, like with any class, people come and go, so she would love to hear from new folks who are interested.
      Thanks so much for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete