Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Friday, November 14, 2014

My 2014 Christmas Theme and Some Looks Back

If you've known me very long at all, you probably know that I do a different Christmas "look" every year.  I have thousands of ornaments, and I try to use a mix of old and new ones each year.  That way, it isn't such a shock to the pocketbook like it would be if I had to buy all new ones each year.  I should tell you- my tree is twelve feet tall, so that's a lot of ornaments. This year, I will be able to use some of my blue, green and silver ones from last year. It's always fun to go through all of them to pick what will work for the current year, and it brings back memories that are attached to every ornament.

2013 was turquoise and green, with orange touches, natural birds and burlap everywhere.  I used real oranges mixed with really good fake ones, birds that had a natural look, some with silver and gold glitter, and peacocks.  I ordered heavy cardboard partridges from an Etsy shop and covered them in gold and silver glitter, mixed.  Natural bird feathers along with dramatic peacock feathers were scattered about, and it looked something like this:



A year or so before that, the theme was all about peppermint candy.  It started with a painting that I did...an elf holding a giant wrapped peppermint candy.  I went out and bought lots of little elves with adjustable wired arms and legs so that they could be positioned to sit among the branches of the tree, and I used a peppermint garland with lots and lots of peppermint candies and glass ornaments in the same colors.  That was a fun one to do!


Another year, it was about traditional Santas, dressed in red and white.  Yes, I had a whole tree of them!  I think that was the year I did the art for the Christmas Fest poster in Bay Minette, and that poster was the inspiration for my theme that year...I painted a fun, fast driving, cool dude Santa, driving through town, capturing him as he passed in front of one of our local landmarks.  Can you enlarge the pic enough to read the tag?  1HOTSANTA  


Anyway, now you've got the idea...

I've been working to refine my plan for Christmas 2014 and I will share actual projects over the next couple of weeks, but for now I wanted to share a sneak peak by way of my newly created Pinterest board.  I was thinking of how to describe it in detail...and this is what came to mind:  

Vintage 1950s meets 2014 in an elegant recycled style that includes white ironstone, tarnished silver, and vintage ornaments in light blues, greens and colors in between. Think Audrey Hepburn's fashion style and Tiffany blue, but with a patina.  

Now, I'll share the link-  Christmas Board- 2014  .  Let me know what you think!

Have a great weekend!


Judy

If you like what you see here, I would love to have you follow along.  To make sure that you don't miss anything, you can follow by e-mail.  Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and put it in the space  provided, or you can enter it at the top of the sidebar.  I never share your  addresses  with anyone, so  you  can  feel at ease by sharing it with me.  Also, your first mail from me will most likely end up in  your spam folder, so you will need to go look for that one, then click on my e-mail address and save it to your address book.  That will assure that all future e-mails will go  to your e-mail folder so that you can   actually  see them.  I would be honored to have you follow along as I play!

4 comments:

  1. Your Bay Minette poster painting is absolutely adorable. I can see why it was chosen for Christmas Fest. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was so much fun to paint...I think I was smiling through the entire painting!

      Delete
  2. Wow Miss Judy! You are full of surprises! I didn't know you were such a talented artist. When I had my first house, I decorated quite a bit for the holidays. I had one main tree that was just Santa ornaments and one smaller tree that was assorted ornaments, plus a train with a lighted village underneath. One year I even stamped my own wrapping paper. I had a very large Santa figure collection as well. That me is long gone as our family has downsized and minimized drastically, but I love to see what others do this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Clamco! It is a lot of work, and one year (real soon) I'm going to have to admit that I can't do it anymore. It seems like every year, I say, "Just this one more year" and then I go ahead and do it again the next year...It does make for many good memories and I'm sure your family cherishes the memories of your Christmas decorating fun from years past.

      Delete