Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Sunday, October 26, 2014

We're Going To The Chapel...

...and we're gonna get married...Don't you just love that song? 

Well, hubby and I made that trip down the aisle 28 years ago, and we celebrated our anniversary Saturday by taking a day trip to the Chapel Market in Pike Hill Road.  I had wanted to go as soon as Linda from Coastal Charm mentioned it several months ago. What a special and fun day it was hanging out with my favorite man and meeting Linda and Marian, aka Miss Mustard Seed!

The alarm went off at a very early 4:30.  I had heard about the long line that forms at the door, which was supposed to open at 9:00.  I figured if we got there around 8:00, we should be okay...and anyway, I wasn't real keen on getting up any earlier than 4:30! After breakfast on the road in Atmore, we made good time and arrived just about when I figured.

We parked in the parking lot where we were directed, and went to the table to pay our entry fee, which was just $3 per person.  They stamped our hand and told us to put a pin in the map on the board just inside the door as soon as we entered, so that they would know where everyone had come from.  So we walked across the street toward the pretty little chapel up on the hill, up the sidewalk and through the open door where others were entering. Hubby made a beeline to the map so that he could put in our pin, as directed, and I was just looking around. Something didn't feel quite right, but I couldn't put my finger on it.  It just didn't feel like everyone was ready to open.  They were still working on setting up booths, and there was Miss Mustard Seed, down on her knees taking pictures of her perfectly set booth full of goodies.  People were running around us like busy bees, and all of a sudden I looked up through the windows in the doors at the end of the building and saw the line of people!!!  Oh no...we had illegally entered the show!!! Never follow a man that looks like he knows what he is doing...Yep, I was just following hubby. The funny thing is, nobody said anything to us! It reminded me of that movie, Catch Me If You Can, where the character played by Leonardo DiCaprio acts like someone he's not, and he just blended in because it looked like he knew what he was doing and was supposed to be there...I guess everyone thought we were there helping someone else. Anyway, when I figured out that we were on the wrong side of the doors, I grabbed hubby and said, "Come with me!  We have to get outside and in line before we get arrested!"  We made our way back out, around to the other side of the building and took our place at the end of the line.  I think next year they should put up a "Vendors Only" sign at that side door so that they don't have any other newbies illegally entering! Once you've attended, you know where the line forms, but you've gotta watch out for the new folks!

Standing in line...

It was a beautiful day!  Bright sunshine in a gorgeous blue sky, no humidity or anything wet falling, and the temperature was glorious.  It was the kind of day you pray for, for an event like this.  


The view behind us as we stood in line at the chapel...

Eventually, they did open the doors.  You could tell without even looking up because squeals of delight could be heard!  The line moved quickly with everyone stopping briefly to put their pin on the map...(everyone except us, that is, cause hubby had already taken care of that!)  We were able to move on ahead quickly to Miss Mustard Seed's booth.  

In the days leading up to the event, MMS had been sharing sneak peaks at what she was bringing, and had shared how she was setting up in her studio just like it would be at the market.  I had already decided that I wanted a small white cabinet with a mirrored door.  I don't have room for any more furniture, so I seek out small things at this point.  This would be perfect.  It really screams, "Miss Mustard Seed" and it would be an easy piece to place in the house.  So I grabbed it, along with the little boxwood wreath that she had hung on the mirrored door, and checked out.  Her booth was crazy crowded by this time and it was hard to get back out of it.  She was very graciously taking pics with fans and signing books, so I had hubby snap this pic of us with my purchase.

Proudly showing my Miss Mustard Seed treasure with Marian.

Next, I wanted to go find Linda, the creative genius behind Coastal Charm Interiors...
We headed out to the tent, which was packed full of a wonderful variety of charming and pretty things!  

Vendors with their goods inside the tent...

Gorgeous rolling hills...outside the tent.

And, then I spotted Linda, who was wearing a very funky top that I could have just purchased right off of her!  She was also graciously spending time with each person who entered her booth space, and since she's one of my favorite bloggers, I wanted to get a pic with her, too!  I feel a special bond with Linda since we both live in Baldwin County (in Alabama), and she has helped me learn my way around the blogging world...  I look forward to spending more time with her in the future.


Linda and I posed for a pic during our chat.

I remembered Linda mentioning some vintage Christmas ornaments that she was bringing along...She showed me what she had and I fell in love with the little clip-on candle holders! They will be great for Christmas 2014 and many years thereafter.  They are vintage tin. Perfect.




I also spotted these "biscuit paddles" in Linda's booth.  I had never heard of a biscuit paddle, but I love the look and can imagine it being used in many different ways...



At this point, it was only around 10:00, and we decided to head on over to Montgomery to an antique mall...

Miss Mustard Seed was scheduled to do a painting demo at 2:00, and we had intentions of going back for that, but my tired old bones were feeling the effects of the long day after walking all three floors of that antique mall. I know it was great, and I'm sorry I missed it, but it felt so good to get home and fall into my bed...I slept until 10:30 today!  

Here are some more pics of the treasures that I purchased.





I'm thinking this would make a great spice cabinet...

I'm already looking forward to next year!  Thank you Linda for telling me about this great little show!

Judy

Shared with:


If you like what you see here, I would love to have you follow along.  To make sure that you don't miss anything, you can follow by e-mail.  Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and put it in the space  provided, or you can enter it at the top of the sidebar.  I never share your  addresses  with anyone, so  you  can  feel at ease by sharing it with me.  Also, your first mail from me will most likely end up in  your spam folder, so you will need to go look for that one, then click on my e-mail address and save it to your address book.  That will assure that all future e-mails will go  to your e-mail folder so that you can   actually  see them.  I would be honored to have you follow along as I play!

6 comments:

  1. Judy,
    I was happy to meet you at the Chapel Market, you and your husband were a delight to talk to. I really hope that we get together more often and hoping that you can join us in Fairhope for the bloggers meetings. I had my eye on that darling cabinet that Marian had, so I am really happy that you got it. Thanks for shopping with me and I hope you enjoy your goodies. Hope you don't mind me sharing your pic of us on a Chapel Market post.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I do hope to join you and the other local bloggers at the next meeting. I'm glad I was able to get that little white cabinet that Marian had...I was a little worried when everyone flocked straight to her booth! I'm glad I didn't have to fight anyone for it! I really enjoyed our little visit and I'm happy for you to share our pic!
      Judy

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cabinet! It looks like everyone had such a fun time, just wish I lived close enough to shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy! Thanks for stopping by and reading about my experience and my little white cabinet. It was a lot of fun- I wish you lived closer too! California is quite a little drive! Maybe if you could come down and spend a couple of weeks, you could catch the City Farmhouse Show in Franklin, TN and then this one. (This year they were two weekends in a row...maybe they will be the same way next year.) I really would like to make it back out your way to the Rose Bowl for a picking weekend one of these years. I did it once about fifteen years ago, and there's nothing like it anywhere else in the country. But, it's a long drive going either way! Thanks again for visiting with me!
      Judy

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary Judy! What fun, great finds, and to meet MMS and Linda too...what a great day! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete