Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

My Silversmithing Adventure - An Update

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was attempting to learn silversmithing.  See that post here.  I thought I would share an update on my new adventure since I have a few classes behind me now.

It has been a lot of fun, but that torch is still a little intimidating...The instructor, Shelley Ingersoll, has done my "torching" (soldering is what I'm supposed to call it!) up to this point...maybe I'll  try that part soon.  I have been trying to focus on techniques such as cutting (without breaking too many blades!), filing, punching, hammering and polishing. There are so many different kinds of tools that all have their specific uses, so it takes a little while to just learn what each piece does and how it's used.  I like to watch the others in the room as they work- it's a good way to learn.  Did I mention that I'm making new friends? That's always a good thing.  And now, my friend Nancy is taking the class too, so we get to visit in the car on the way there and back.  It's been a good experience and I expect it to only get better!

My first project was a free form shaped pendant, with a sodalite cabochon (a gemstone that has been cut and polished with a domed top).  I'm not real proud of that piece, so I'm not going to share it...Sorry!  I just really didn't plan it out very well, and I was learning how to cut...I didn't do a real pretty job on it.  I did learn from it though,  so it was good in that respect.

My second piece is a different story.  I love it.  I actually thought about and planned this one, since I now knew a little bit more about the process and how I wanted it to look.  It's still simple, but interesting.  I learned a couple of new techniques- using steel stamps to punch and dapping for shape to give him some dimension.  Then I polished him and he was ready to go.  This piece was so easy and fun, and now I have a fabulous new piece to wear.





He looks like my two cats, Sunshine and Moonbeam, except for the fact that Moonbeam has the bobbed tail...I went with the long tail for my necklace kitty.  

Sunshine

Moonbeam

I'll update and share as I complete new things...and, who knows, maybe some new sterling silver pieces will end up in my Etsy shop if I get good enough!

Thanks for sharing part of your day with me.  I appreciate it.


Judy

Edited later in the day...I just found out that today is National Cat Day!  Here's a fun link to the website.  

If you like what you see here, I would love to have you follow along.  To make sure that you don't miss anything, you can follow by e-mail.  Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and put it in the space  provided, or you can enter it at the top of the sidebar.  I never share your  addresses  with anyone, so  you  can  feel at ease by sharing it with me.  Also, your first mail from me will most likely end up in  your spam folder, so you will need to go look for that one, then click on my e-mail address and save it to your address book.  That will assure that all future e-mails will go  to your e-mail folder so that you can   actually  see them.  I would be honored to have you follow along as I play!

No comments:

Post a Comment