Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Chairish.com Rug Challenge

I was challenged by the folks over at Chairish.com to choose my favorite vintage rug from a selection provided by them (see more of their rugs here), and to design a styleboard for a room around that rug...

I quickly narrowed it down to four, but "favorite" implies only one, soooo...those of you who know me well will probably know at first glance which one I picked-  








......It's #4!  Doesn't it just scream FUN?

It is called "Swirl" by Paul Smith, and the price is $9000, but they do say to make an offer. It is a large rug at 108" x 144" or 9 ft. x 12 ft., and it's a plush 1" thick.  Now, I'll show you what I did with it.



I totally saw a room with an industrial warehouse feel, but with an eclectic vibe, and if you are not fortunate enough to have the genuine exposed brick wall like the one in this loft space, it is easy to duplicate with the veneers that are readily available today.  It doesn't even have to be brick- rock would work equally well.  It just needs that texture.  I've shown color options for the other walls in the space- If you would like a warmer feel, then you would go with the green, for a cooler feel, the lavender grey would be a good choice.  The floors under the fabulous rug are dark stained reclaimed wood- also easy to duplicate at many different price points.  You could go with the real thing or a laminate that has the same look at a fraction of the cost.  Almost all of the furnishings that I've used here are currently available through online retailers; sources listed below.  The only exception is the original art piece by Suzan Grissett Buckner, Birdhouse...I own that one.  Suzan has other wonderful fun artwork available through her website, which will also be shared in the sources. Did you notice the sentiment shared on the other art piece?  LIFE BEGINS AT THE END OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE.  How cool is that?  Totally fitting for this room.

If you're not familiar with Chairish.com, go check them out.  They are an online source for discriminating design lovers who love high end vintage furnishings. Gently used treasures are bought and sold daily ... You will want to visit them often.  Oh, and it would be fun to follow their blog...click here. They now appear on my blogroll!

I have provided links to all furnishings that are available.  Unfortunately, some items are one-of-a-kind, and sell before I can actually publish my project.  I have checked each one prior to publishing, and if they were no longer available, the link provided is to the retailer, and not for the individual item.  They should have similar items to substitute, and don't forget to check with Chairish.com for similar options, too!

Sources:

My Two Designers- Cabrero Consoles (2)- $1276 each 
Wayfair- Dane Apartment Sofa in Calvin Wheatgrass-$2599
Hayneedle- Uttermost Leisa Arm Chair- Alabaster White- $877.80
Zinc Door- Hammered Brass Cocktail Table-$1748
Hayneedle- Adesso Bonnet Floor Lamp- Satin Steel- $130.99
Hayneedle- Uttermost Kumberlin Round Table- $261.80
Posh Tots- Billie Pillow in Burnt Orange- $40
Crate & Barrel- Albyn Standard Pillow Sham- $26.95
Layla Grayce- Picnic Squares Turquoise Teal Throw Pillow- $225
CB2- Leisure Sprout 23 Pillow with Feather Down Insert- $39.95
One Kings Lane- Riley Nail-head 20 x 20 pillow- Orange- $37
CB2- (Pillow on chair) Pony Up Red 12" x 18" pillow with down alternative insert-$89.95
Lamps Plus- Arteriors Home Treva Terracotta Moss Green Table Lamp- $216
Art.com- LIFE BEGINS...$14.99  Now available at Target...
CB2- Schroeder (Black & white) Vase- $39.95
One Kings Lane- Orange Glazed Terracotta Vase- $85
Interior paint 1- Benjamin Moore- Violet Sparkle
Interior paint 2- Home Depot/ Behr- Pear Green
Original Art by Suzan Grissett Buckner available at SuzanBuckner.com

This has been a fun challenge!  I think I'm going to do rooms with some of the other rugs too, just for some more fun...

Thanks for dropping in for a visit with me today.  I always love having you.  

Judy
If you like what you see here, I would love to have you follow along.  To make sure that you don't miss anything, you can follow by e-mail.  Simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and put it in the space  provided, or you can enter it at the top of the sidebar.  I never share your  addresses  with anyone, so  you  can  feel at ease by sharing it with me.  Also, your first mail from me will most likely end up in  your spam folder, so you will need to go look for that one, then click on my e-mail address and save it to your address book.  That will assure that all future e-mails will go  to your e-mail folder so that you can   actually  see them.  I would be honored to have you follow along as I play!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love every bit....you are so talented!

    ~~~Debbie Little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! I appreciate the sweet comment!
      Judy

      Delete