Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Friday, June 6, 2014

Serendipity and the Blue Wash Stand

Remember the blog post from a few days ago (here if you missed it), when I went to the Daphne Antique Galleria? Maybe it was serendipity, I'm not sure, but the little wash stand that was featured in that first pic in the post is now living in my powder room. 


As I was looking back over the post, I realized that this piece could work for me to solve a problem. My little nephew (six years old) came to live with us last August, and he can't reach the hand towels in the powder room-  they are way up there on that wall rack... 



...and, we always have a wadded up towel on the table there beside the sink where he leaves it...So, I was thinking- this could be perfect!  It has a place for a towel down at his level. I called the antique mall and asked them to measure it for me.  It was perfect!  (Serendipity again?) And, it was already painted this wonderful blue...the same color that is in the top of my mermaid art in the same room...


...so, I went out there yesterday and brought it home with us.

I think I now need to show this little room a little more love.  More about that tomorrow, but for now, I want to show you an easy way to get a custom look in drawer linings.

I wanted pretty paper, something different from the shelf liner papers that are commercially available, so I bought a couple of sheets of scrap-booking paper from Hobby Lobby.  I always keep a roll of clear contact paper (aka laminating paper) on hand, so I put the pretty side of the scrap-booking paper onto the sticky side of the contact paper.  I made sure that the pattern would line up before I started.  Here are the pics of that easy process...




I cut it to fit, then used my adhesive applicator and ran a strip of "sticky" down each side to hold it securely in place.


And, here she is, with her pretty drawer liner!  And, because I used the contact paper, it can stand up to dampness or drips of water.



Now, I'm going to work on something else for the powder room.  I'll share that tomorrow!

Judy


No comments:

Post a Comment