Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Quick and Easy Banner with Glitter and Vintage Hanger

After writing my post for yesterday, I decided to do a quick little fun and easy project that had been on my mind for quite some time.  It was quiet in the house (at midnight) and so I would be able to work quickly...This is what I had in mind.


The idea was to do a banner of sorts, but it would be just three "pennants" hanging from a vintage wood clothes hanger.  

I wanted to use a children's book that I had purchased at the thrift store.  It has wonderful illustrations of cats (by Emily Arnold McCully), and since I'm a cat woman, well, I just bought it!  I knew I would eventually use it for some recycled or up-cycled project.


So, I already had the supplies on hand-  The illustrations, some twine, the hangers, adhesive, Elmer's glue, and assorted glitters.

I cut the little individual pennants very quickly, using the first one as a pattern, although not very precisely.



Then, I started playing in glitter, while working over a disposable hospital food service tray to keep everything nice and neat in the studio.  I can save the glitter than falls off and put it back into the shaker.


I simply ran a bead of Elmer's glue around the edges (also not very precisely!) and poured on the glitter, shaking off any excess glitter onto the tray.

Using clothespins, I hung each pennant to the cord of the window blinds to let them dry.  I left them there overnight.



Then, I went quietly and sneaked into bed, wearing glitter.

Next morning...Time to assemble!

Using a stylus and a ruler with metal edge, I ran a crease line 1/2" from the top edge.  It's hard to see it in the pic, but it's the line that #1 arrow points to.  Then, I ran the adhesive strip centered on the fold line.  See arrow #2.  You can also see the adhesive hanging off the bottom edge in the pic.
  

I cut an appropriate length of twine, and found the center point.  After finding the center point of the center pennant, I matched the centers and stuck the twine on top of the fold line.


Then, I just folded it over and pressed down along the length of the twine until it was flat.

Continue this until all pennants are strung onto the twine.

To prepare the hanger, I measured up 2 1/2" from each end and drilled a tiny pilot hole in the top center of each mark.  Then I put a tiny nail into each hole.  This will enable me to attach the twine to the hanger so that it will remain stable and not slip around.  

I tied the twine to each end and that was it.  What do you think?


A little closer look...
 

Details...




If this is your first visit to my blog, I would love to have you follow along as I play.  Just scroll to the bottom and put in your email address in the space provided.  Also, if you go this route, remember to check you spam folder for my posts...they sometimes go there.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment