Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Making the Laundry Room a Little More Pleasant

If you're like me, you probably spend a lot of time doing laundry.  Anything that can make it a more pleasant experience is always welcome in my home!  Having just completed a deep cleaning in my laundry room- getting into the nooks and crannies where I never go, replacing shelf paper with burlap, etc.- I thought this would be a good time to try something new...making my own detergent.  It makes my heart happy to use homemade things around the house.  Let me share with you what I did.

I had been noticing a recipe for homemade laundry detergent floating around on the internet (facebook and Pinterest) and decided to give it a try.  Because I wanted to sample it first, before I made a whole batch, I purchased a small jar from someone who was selling it as a fundraiser at a local market.  I liked the way it performed- cleaned as well as any of the name brand detergents.  So, I decided to make my own. I pulled up all of the recipes that I could find, and they were all very similar.  I made mine using a combination of several different ones.  It made A LOT.   This should last me a year or so when you consider that it only takes two tablespoons per load, or three if it's extra dirty.  I measured the finished product...it made 20 cups, and I measured 14 spoons per cup, so that's 280 spoons!  If I only use two spoons per load, this should do 140 loads.  I kept track of my costs involved, so it should cost around 12 cents per load. Yet another reason to smile.  


I then had to think about how to store it.  I had been recycling jars into storage containers and I had a huge pickle jar.  I thought that would work nicely, and it would give me another reason to feel happy in the laundry room if I thought about the recycling aspect every time I did laundry...


I read somewhere that it helps to keep moisture out if you add a cheesecloth bag of rice to the detergent...can't hurt, so I did that, too.  I don't want chunky detergent.


This is my nice clean shelf beside the washer now.


In the little silver dish, I have dryer sheets cut in half. This is something I've been doing for years...  It's a great little money saving tip, because you get double the softening for the money! I open the box of store brand sheets as soon as I get home from shopping and and cut them all right then...It really does work just as well as a whole sheet, can't tell the difference at all....and, it makes my heart happy knowing that I'm saving a little cash!


And, I like for things to be pretty.  I picked up this silver tablespoon at an estate sale with a plan to list it in my Etsy shop, but I decided to use it here with my laundry soap instead.  It's the perfect spoon for measuring out the two tablespoons for each load!  And, this is yet another reason to smile when I'm in the laundry room.  Isn't it pretty?


It even has a "J" for JujuQueen, aka Judy. 



...and, when I look at the way the jar fits into the shelf, I just have to smile.  I barely fits.  I think I have 1/8" between the knob and the bottom of the next shelf!  That was close...maybe I should measure next time.


Tomorrow, I will show a tutorial on recycling old jars into pretty storage containers.  If you empty a jar tonight when fixing dinner, save it!  I'll show you how easy it is to up-cycle it.

Judy


Shared with:

2 comments:

  1. I've always admired folks that make their own household and laundry cleaners, something that I haven't tired yet! Love the idea silver in the laundry room. Hope you are having a GREAT week!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while since I made homemade laundry soap - wonderful post - I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete