Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Letting Go- A Fanciful Look at Saying Goodbye to a Favorite Pair of Tattered Shorts

Here goes...I'm hesitant to share this post...it's a little embarrassing to admit.  Please let me hear from you if this is something you've experienced...I need to feel that I'm not alone.

The back story-

The year was 1987.  We had been married a year and were living in Gloucester, Virginia. We had two children (I was an instant mom, as hubby had two young children) and a tight budget. He had been serving in the US Air Force for eight years at the time and the paycheck was not very big, so I had to be thrifty.  I was at the Big Lots store in town (either Hampton or Newport News...the memory is fuzzy on that detail) and came upon a rack of shorts for .50 each!  They had sizes to fit the entire family! Oh my goodness- what a find!  I think I bought eight pairs, two for each one of us, if I remember correctly. I spent a whole $4! The kids HATED them!  They thought the shorts were so Richard Simmons like and the kids were so not into jazzercise...they refused to wear them. I LOVED mine, and wore them all the time around the house.  John didn't like to wear them either, as they were a little short for him to feel comfortable,  and his just stayed folded in the closet for years. After a couple of years of wearing them, I turned mine into painting shorts and wore them whenever I was in "creative" mode...I even inherited John's fifteen or twenty years down the road when I had gained a few extra pounds...Now, fast forward to 2014.

I find myself today admitting that it's time to let go of the shorts.  It's a struggle.  They are my favorite items of clothing...the ones I grab when I'm around the house and the gate at the driveway is locked so that nobody can slip in to see me in them.  They are so comfortable- and they have that side pocket that is so convenient for the phone.  I have had them about 1431 weeks, and have worn them each about once a week for the last 27 years...so, when I figure the cost of wearing these shorts, it comes in at around .000349 cents per day. That's just a tiny fraction of a whole penny..guess you could say I got my money's worth out of the beloved shorts- pretty thrifty!!!  Now, I know in this equation I'm not considering the cost to my family members who had to see me wearing them...they would probably say that the cost was high, especially during the last few years, when the butt part was starting to fall off bit by bit.  I mean, my 54 year old butt is not as cute as it once was!  They are falling apart so badly that little bits around the legs just start dangling when they tear, and I feel like something is crawling on me-  I usually just reach down and tear it on off and carry on.  I do believe I've now torn all that can safely be torn...there's just not enough of them left to wear anymore.  I feel like I should do something to mark the occasion of letting go.  I will celebrate the many years of happiness that they have brought this old girl by posting their "portraits" here in the blog.  Wish I had pics of when they were younger...










In this last pic, you can barely make out the print on the label...but is says "Made in US"...How about that?  And that part didn't fade away...I like that.  I've googled OCOEE garments (well, maybe someone has some listed on ebay that are still in good condition!), but I don't really find anything worthwhile...and, I can't even find the manufacturer.  They've probably packed up and moved to Mexico.  Oh well.

As I sit here, wrapping up this post, with my shorts in my lap, I'm really having a tough time with this...I wonder if I can get John to take me out to dinner tonight.


If you can relate, I would love to hear from you.


Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment