Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Monday, June 16, 2014

Fun Fish Story Assemblage Art

It's hard some days when I get up to figure out which project to work on!  I have so many different things going right now...and, I've been trying to document everything with photographs, so I have lots of photos to edit, as well.  Today, I just unplugged from those projects, and diverted to something fun in the studio.  

One of the "in process" projects is a bed for my nephew Justin, who lives with us at the moment.  I had been on the lookout for just the right one, and it finally jumped out at me while browsing a local antique mall a week ago.  It was a twin bed that had been painted and distressed.  It was black, which would have worked in one part of the house, but Justin didn't want to sleep there.  He said it was "scary" and he wanted to sleep in our room, so I have been busy painting and putting together his little bed in a corner of our room.  If you remember (post about the room here), our room is the mermaid room- not exactly a pleasant atmosphere for a little boy.  So, I thought I should at the very least take down the mermaid art pieces that were hanging over his bed.  I then set about trying to figure out what would work there- something that he would appreciate, but didn't stray too far away from my mermaid theme...fast forward to the fun project of today!

Is He Pulling Your Leg?

If you have questions about any part of it, please just email me and I will be happy to explain. It is a simple assemblage art piece.  I collect bits and pieces from estate sales and have many, many pieces.  It is so much fun when an idea comes to mind to go "shop" the bits and pieces to find just the perfect little elements.  I wanted to do something about a little boy telling a "fish story" or not...that's the question.  Is he, or is he not?  I found the perfect quirky frame that isn't square!!!  (It's a quadrilateral, because it does have four sides, but one end is smaller than the other.  I had a feeling I would use it in an assemblage piece some day.)  Then, I just kept finding fun things to use to help me tell the story...I will show pics of the process, and if you will notice, there have been changes along the way- that always happens! Okay...enough talking about it. Here are pics!

Cutting back board...
...in place.
Background options...
I went with this gorgeous handmade paper.
Laying it out...
Words and Rulers
Which little boy do I use?
This little tattered one is so cute!  The word "is"
changed during the construction process...I found a
game piece with the word on it, and wanted to mix
things up a bit!
I think he wants me to use him!
Yep.
Need fish to tell a fish story...One fish.  Notice the color of
the big fish...because it will change.  I used alcohol ink.
Two fish...actually, there
are three.
Rusty thing that I found in a parking lot-
Looks like a float.  I ended up using shells
and pearls, instead of the purple and
white beads.




After giving all of the dangles a loop, I strung them onto
a rusty piece of barbed wire that was found in our driveway.


Added screw eyes to the bottom of the frame, and attached
barbed wire with dangles.

With his arms outstretched, he is telling us, "It was this big!"
So, is he pulling our leg or not?
Details...
Details...
...and a leg.

Once I finish the bed and hang this piece, I will do a "reveal"...Stay tuned for that!

I love to hear from my readers, so please drop me a line...and, have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment