Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Thursday, May 15, 2014

This Dresser Still Makes Me Smile

This dresser has a story- It now lives in my Serena Room, so I see it a lot, and it still makes me smile. Let me tell you about it.  



The year was 1990.  My hubby was deployed with the USAF to Operation Desert Shield/Storm. I was at home in Virginia with our two year old son, alone, as our families were both in Alabama.  It was real hard to not watch the television around the clock with hubby deployed in a war zone.  It caused much anxiety.  This was before the internet, smart phones and all of the conveniences that we take for granted today. When I did get out, I kept the radio on in the car...and, when we did hear news, it was usually a few days old.  That was the longest year of my life, and something that I could never repeat again...it took it's toll on my sanity.

When a member of the armed services is deployed overseas in a war zone, they get extra pay to compensate for being put in the way of danger...it's called hazardous duty pay. Hubby left orders for me to use that extra money to get out and about and do things for myself, to help take my mind off of what was happening with him.  Wasn't that sweet?  I do have the best hubby in the world.  Now, about the dresser...

I had made the drive over the Coleman Bridge from Gloucester to Newport News to one of my favorite antique shops.  I saw this dresser, and it called my name.  I loved the simplicity and pattern in the wood, but there was a "shadow" of a scroll-like design on the front of one of the drawers where there had once been a carved wood embellishment piece.  I wasn't sure how to go about fixing it, but I knew I would figure out something.  The price was really good, so I decided to make the purchase.  We measured to make sure it would fit into the trunk of my Honda Accord.  The measurements told me that it would fit, but it would be close.  The guys there put it in for me and off I went, back over the bridge toward home.  Now, did I even stop to think about how I would go about getting it out of the car and into the house?  No.


Coleman Bridge, York River, VA- This part of the bridge
frequently stuck in the open position for hours
at a time back then.  It has since been upgraded.
I drove up and then it occurred to me that I might have a problem.  I tried to pull it out, and it didn't budge. I decided to go next door and see if my neighbor, Rose, could come and help me. She was always laughing at the predicaments I could get myself in.  When she walked over and saw what was in the trunk of the car, she just stopped and died laughing.  Then I started laughing.  She could just see me coming over the Coleman Bridge with the trunk tied shut hauling that dresser.  It was pretty comical, but now, I was getting worried...what if we couldn't get it out?  We both tried and tried, and laughed, and tried some more.  That rubber gasket thing around the trunk opening was holding the dresser and didn't want to let it go. Well, we finally did get it out, but it wasn't easy....and, that's why I still smile when I look at the dresser.  It brings back so many memories- The sweet things my husband does for me, my then neighbor, Rose, the good antiques that could be found in Virginia, and my crazy antics!




As you can see from the photographs above, I fixed the "shadow" by painting my own version of the carved shapes that would have been there.  

This old dresser will be with me forever, until I am no longer here...then, I guess it will go to our daughter-in-law April.  She has told me many times how much she loves the piece.

I appreciate you dropping by today, and if you think this story was interesting, follow along- There will be more to come.

6 comments:

  1. My husband was a career air force officer and many of the pieces of furniture in our house hold memories of flea markets and sales in Canada, the US and Europe. I enjoyed the story of your pretty dresser - lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my post brought back some good memories for you! Thank you so much for reading along and taking time to leave a nice comment. It is very much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. LOVED this story - what a dear husband and what a treasure! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy for loving my story...I do have a pretty special hubby. Thanks for taking time to leave the sweet comment!
      Judy

      Delete
  3. This is the way to furnish a home...filled with pieces that hold stories that make you smile. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, May! I agree, and I have many "stories" hanging around in the house!
      I appreciate you taking time to leave a nice comment- Please visit again soon!
      Judy

      Delete