Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Something's Fishy

So, yesterday, Justin and I decided to get out of the house and see what we could find to do...and, then I saw a yard sale sign...screech- U-turn, go see what's left.  It was late in the day, almost 2:00, so I didn't have high hopes. As I was getting out of the car, my friend, Ruby, drove up, which was a nice little surprise!  She had been up the road setting up a yard sale of her own, which started this morning.  We talked and "caught up" for a minute and then made our way inside to see what was left.

I went to the kitchen area and spied this fish!



It was $3!

I have a thing for fish, so I knew I wanted him, but I was wondering what it was...The lady explained to me that it was a Jello mold.  It's hard to tell in the pics, but the thing is HUGE! Like 22" long huge, and 5" deep!  That's a whole lotta Jello!  She told me that she was in the catering business, so this was meant to feed a crowd.  Okay, I can buy that, since we do live along the Gulf Coast of Alabama, and this area is a fishy kind of place.  

So, then my mind went to, "What am I going to do with him?"

He would make a great art project, or shadow box of some kind...

...but, he would also fill an empty space on my wall in the powder room...and it's fishy, too! 


I do believe, my new Jello fish looks right at home in the powder room arrangement.  His gray tin color even coordinates nicely with the gray frame that I used on the art piece that is the focal point of the room.

Focal piece is a limited edition print from a batik painting of a mermaid and her fish friends, by artist Janet Searfoss (link here).  The piece is titled, Morning Catch.  I like to think of the mermaid lady as a fish whisperer;  It looks like she's communicating with them... and she is so gypsy-like...I LOVE her style!  Oh, and if you're wondering where her tail is, she isn't wearing it at the moment...buttons are hiding underneath the bows on her swimsuit...so, she can just button it right back on when it's needed.

The pottery plate fish is by my friend, Brenda G. Anderson (link here), of Spanish Fort, Alabama.  Brenda dabbles in many different art forms, and if you keep reading, you will see her red fish later down in the post.


Just around the corner to the right, there is another fish, made of reclaimed wood and vintage buttons, by Mobile artist, Johnny Sweet.  See detailed pic below-  Johnny doesn't have a web presence, but he can be found downtown in Mobile where he usually sets up along the street during "artwalk."


And, look at my fabulous, funky towel rack.  It was a hat and coat rack in a previous life.  I found it at a great little antiques shop, Longevity (fb page here), in Brewton, Alabama, just up the road a bit.  It's always been a favorite piece, and so very functional.
  

...and, here is the red fish painting by Brenda.


Isn't it whimsical and fun?  She painted this one while in a class with Bill Harrison, a well known artist around these parts.  Red Fish hangs out in a bathroom upstairs.

Well, there you go...that's my fish story- No, wait a minute-  It's not a fish story if it's true, is it?...Hmmm.   Anyway, thanks for dropping by...and, have a great day!

Judy


2 comments:

  1. Hi Judy,

    First thanks so much for the blog link! I'm a big "estate saler" and recycler too so I love seeing your finds. You have a great eye. Your big fish is wonderful! I love find things that you didn't even know existed. Happy treasure hunting this summer! Aimee @ Scarlet Owl Studio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aimee- Thanks so much for visiting me! If you ever make it to the Coastal South, the estate sale the first weekend of every month at Olde Mobile Antiques Gallery is the best one I've ever found...MANY fun treasures to be taken home every month! Thanks so much for your sweet comment- I appreciate it!

      Delete