Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

"Portugal" and "P"- Part One

I just finished two more jewelry pieces, "Portugal" and "P", so I'll share part of the creative process in this post, and then I will share the remainder tomorrow, in "Part Two."

I love picking up just random pieces from estate sales, yard sales, and sometimes, just on the ground in a parking lot!  When you start making mixed media art and jewelry, you begin to look at things in a whole new way.  These two started with these architectural findings- door hardware.  This is the part that would have been behind the doorknob- the escutcheon. I had two identical ones, each having three holes.  The holes are in perfect positions to have two on each side at the top, in which to attach a chain, and the ones at the bottom to hold drops of some sort.  


The round hole in the center is just screaming for a button, or coin...Here are some options. I spent mucho minutes on this part of the design process.  I try different things until I get inspired by something.  At this point, I have no clue what they will become!





I decided to go with the last two pictured above.  The gold button with the "P" really spoke to me, since my last name is Pimperl! (I think this one is going to be mine.)  The second one is shown with a coin that I found in my jar of coins from all over the world.  It is from Portugal.  I also had some other random things from my deconstructed jewelry box that I wanted to try to use, such as this drop below... it has great colors, and I thought it would look nice with coin.


I was working on them both simultaneously, as you can see on my work tray below.  


Today, I am going to focus on the one that I named "Portugal."  So, here are the pieces I pulled out that would go with the story I wanted to tell.  I was starting the story with the coin, and the drop piece from the deconstructed jewelry box, so, my subject matter and colors have now been identified.  I just need to add to the story... so, you can now begin to see how the other pieces on the work tray relate.

I googled "Portugal" and attempted to educate myself on the people and their culture.  The country is predominately Catholic, so I will add the cross.  The Portuguese people are very polite, according to the piece I was reading, and it means something to them to be well dressed, with their clothing being constructed of the best fabrics and materials possible. (I think I would like this place!)  I'm beginning to "see" Portugal, and I think I have enough to go on now...


So, with all of the above in mind, I began designing and constructing the piece.  I stayed with the very specific color scheme of blues and greens, and the metals are mixed colors.  The escutcheon is bronze colored, and the coin is silver; the other materials used are a mix of pottery, metal, stone, plastic, glass and crystals.

First, I used E6000, and glued the coin onto the escutcheon.  I let that dry overnight.

I attached the chain, then I made and attached each drop, making sure that they would each fall at varying lengths for a good overall design.






I saved back two of the rectangular, blue beads to use for matching earrings.  So, here are the pieces together, shown as a set...


...and, the earrings, up close.


These will now be listed in the shop.  Follow this link:


Thanks for hanging out with me a bit today...I always enjoy having you!

I will share the other piece, the one that I named "P", tomorrow.

Judy


Shared with:

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful, Judy!
    Thanks for coming and leaving a comment, 'tis how I found you,
    who seems to be a woman after my own heart, having read your profile!
    Like you, I am always creating, with several projects in the work at any given time. Right now I am waiting for some glue to dry....

    I am one who appreciates your creativeness!
    Lovely necklace!
    ~ Violet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the sweet comment, Violet! I appreciate you taking the time to come over.
      Judy

      Delete