Words of late artist Frank Howell...I totally relate!


"There are few days off and no retirement from this entanglement of knowledge, passion and vision that will be molded and converted into creative expression. There are no guarantees of acceptance, understanding or reward, but...the noise inside the mind never ceases. I will paint today, tonight and for as many tomorrows as I am given..." Words of the late artist Frank Howell...

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Studio is Finished & I'm Feeling Inspired

Today, I'm posting from Children's Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama...I brought my nephew up for an admission, so we will be spending a week or so here.  I took lots of pictures of my studio update before we left, so I will share a tour in photographs today...I am so happy to be finished and now I'm feeling inspired to work! 



The Studio Tour  

When you walk in, to the left, there is a bookcase- Somehow, I missed a pic of that piece- Just imagine, it's against the wall and full of art books.  Then, there is this built in spot that was a seating area.  I still have the cushions, but it's more useful as a display area for artwork now.


Then, if you continue straight in, this is the far left corner.  My sweet John did all of the cabinets and bookcases for me, and I painted them with an "oops" can of paint that was actually a nice dark grey.


...around the room to the other corner.  (There is a window here in the center of the room-I skipped said window, because it's naked at the moment- The curtains have been ordered and I'll share when they come in.)  In this corner, I have a tall bookcase, also painted that dark grey.  My canvases are stored in the white baby cradle that my daddy built for me before I was born...I guess it's almost an antique!!!  I also have a small gallery of my artwork on the long, short wall.  *The piece in the second pic, second from the top is not mine- It is by Opal Smith, a friend and wonderful abstract artist.  I keep it in the studio because it's fun and inspirational!


This sunflower work is one that I did in soft pastels, a medium that I love, but it's oh so messy!  And, the weird thing is that I usually work in realism when playing with pastels, which is a departure for me.


This is the funky work that most people think of when they think of my style of artwork.  These are acrylic or mixed-media pieces, with some of my vintage button jewelry in the foreground.


This drying rack was found at my favorite estate sale in Mobile, Alabama.  I use it on the center work table to hang things...empty small frames, chains, finished neclaces, etc.


Then, on around the room, I have the cabinet that I shared in part one, and the vintage French doors that form a wall.  On the other side of the wall is the "nasty work zone", that you can see through the glass doors.  

Now, here are some details...

My little man...

Vintage display case with
interesting things-

Basket of fabric...

Vintage clip board with dictionary
page "Magic"...

Magic JuJu Stick that I made-

Starfish with vintage plastic
cake box-

Vintage birdcage with natural nest-

One of my pieces-

Magnet memo board above my desk, with
colorful silk ribbon-

Silk ribbon detail-

Vintage desk trays and basket
organizers-

Fabric

Handmade soaps in my favorite colors-

Vintage button rings-

Vintage textile mill spools with ribbon and lace-

My crown peeking out from spools of ribbon-

Beautiful things-
sparkles and Mama...

Victorian beads and corks...

Game pieces-

Canvases...waiting-

JujuQueen Vintage button hairpins-

Mother of Pearl vintage button hairpin

Crowns, stars and sparkles...and dog portraits.

Buttons

Old bed springs in a roll, silver tray,
and vintage molds-

Player piano roll that I found in thrift
store for $2- The song is
"Gypsy Love Song"-I shadow-
boxed it because it's a 
beautiful thing.

Details of the beautiful print on the roll-

Variety of things on work table-

Pearls

Old rulers-

Silver, mother of pearl and old wood-

Scrabble tiles and vintage buttons-

Well, there's a look inside my newly organized art studio and inspirational haven.  I love love love hanging out in there, and can't wait to get back home to work on some projects that are brewing inside my head.

I plan to take a walk through the hospital with the camera within the next day or so to take pics so that I can share the wonderful artwork that they have on display. The new hospital just opened last year, and it's just gorgeous, so, stay tuned for a treat!


Thanks for stopping by,
Judy

Shared with:

1 comment:

  1. You are so organized, such a GREAT room for creating! Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your displayed artwork. Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete